Sign in to follow this  

susp vs hp

i am not a very fast rider and have a bit of money to put into my 2000 klx 300. I am wondering what would allow me to be a faster rider if i were to put some money into the motor with a carb an header possibly a big bore if it woulld only be helping slightly or acting as a band-aid or if i were to get the suspension prof set up with revalve an resprun if that would allow me to ride fasterboth would cost roughly about the same money. i was just wondering what most of yall did. Any help or advice is appreciated. ps please dont tell me i need a new bike i have already looked into this and modding my bike is the most economical. thanks in advance

i am not a very fast rider and have a bit of money to put into my 2000 klx 300. I am wondering what would allow me to be a faster rider if i were to put some money into the motor with a carb an header possibly a big bore if it woulld only be helping slightly or acting as a band-aid or if i were to get the suspension prof set up with revalve an resprun if that would allow me to ride fasterboth would cost roughly about the same money. i was just wondering what most of yall did. Any help or advice is appreciated. ps please dont tell me i need a new bike i have already looked into this and modding my bike is the most economical. thanks in advance

I am of the belief that if you are new you will have a lot you can still get out of a 300 power wise and no real need for more just yet.

Upgrading the suspension or just getting it dialed in for you by someone who knows what they are doing will always be a good investment to anyone.

I would start here.

Jetting a carb doesn't have to be expensive, a kit $50-$60 bucks but if you just buy the jets even cheaper. I wouldn't go crazy on exhaust, you can spend money here and not really see much. 3-5 maybe a little more hp but again if you are new you probably can't use what you already have.

Low end snappiness will make riding more enjoyable and this can just be fine tuning. Changing sprockets here can help also.

Have you looked in the kaw section for easy power mods on the bike you have. My wr had a lot of free mods for power that were easy and cheap...

Personally I wouldn't spend the money for big bore kits and such but that's just me. Many do it and love the results. If I needed that kind of power upgrade I have learned over the years, there is no replacement for displacement and I would just upgrade...

suspension...without a doudt!!! when you feel u tap out the power on the klx...then do some engine mods. my buddy had one a few yrs back...had the engine done up, and it ripped. but the first thing was suspension. its a fun bike :thumbsup:

go with suspension mods first, power is great however not so great when you cant control your bike.

I have hare scrambled my klx300 and you definitely should have the suspension done first.Then if you wanted to spend some more money start making the bike LIGHTER.

Spend it on gas. Just keep riding it. You'll get faster. Upgrade suspension, engine, etc. when the bike becomes the limiting factor.

thanks for the replys lasik i did not mean to give the impression i am a beginner i have been riding for 4 years and can ride a decent pace but i am by no means a fast rider compared to what i deem fast it seems that susp is the dominant answer here is it because it is confidence inspiring or just makes everything smoother allowing u to stay on the throttle more therefore allowing u to make motor mods. when i get the suspension done i am not going to just set it up but im gonna send it away for revalve an possibly resprung to get it dialed how much does this normally cost for both forks an shocks

$300 - $600 seems to be the going rate. depending on who does the work, and what all they have to do. it goes up if you want fancy coatings etc.

thanks for the replys lasik i did not mean to give the impression i am a beginner i have been riding for 4 years and can ride a decent pace but i am by no means a fast rider compared to what i deem fast it seems that susp is the dominant answer here is it because it is confidence inspiring or just makes everything smoother allowing u to stay on the throttle more therefore allowing u to make motor mods. when i get the suspension done i am not going to just set it up but im gonna send it away for revalve an possibly resprung to get it dialed how much does this normally cost for both forks an shocks

Sorry, my fault. In my rambling I was trying to say suspension also.

I don't know if you do mx or just trails but for me I do mostly trails and getting suspension setup correctly even in that environment made a big difference...

Get that rear end setup correctly also. To many overlook it including myself.

Mine was a good ways off from the store for my weight. Race and Static Sag and it isn't that difficult to do...

http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm

Check out this website. The page I sent you to is suspension troubleshooting but it will give you an idea of why suspension is important and indicators of what suspension part to adjust and how.

yeah totally agree once you get it back check the static and race sag, this is critical so you bike tracks right and so you dont possibly get hurt.

I had mine done at Pro-Action and I cant be happier, http://www.pro-action.com/main.html and click the prices link at the bottom of the page.

Revalve and respring is the way to go

Put the cash in the suspension, it will do more for you than a big engine. I have a '96 XR400 with suspension done by Pro Action, worlds better than stock. I maintain a friend's 98' XR280 with suspension by Drew Smith (WER), best suspension for trail and enduro that I have seen.

Well, doing a big bore 331 with FCR and exhaust will make the bike go way faster. Much faster than getting the suspension done.......

however,

if you would like to stay on the bike and not be a flying projectile, I'd suggest getting the suspension done first. The suspension on the KLX sucks. I have mine completely tricked out and even then, it's not nearly as good as my WR is bone stock without a clicker change.

If you really want the KLX to be the best it can, that entails a switch of front forks to KX forks and a lengthening of the shock shaft to match geometry. Baring that, a re-valve on the rear and gold valves up front are what you need. Of course, both front and rear springs need to be matched to your weight. If you're in so cal I would suggest George at ESP.

I say suspension first too and this includes tires. I'd get the springs and valving done to suit your weight, set the sag properly and put on some decent tires that suit the majority of your riding (soft or hard terrain) before putting any $ into the motor.

Ergos help a lot, too. Getting the bar bend, clutch effort, and brake pedal height right will have a big impact on the interface between you and the bike, which affects the bike's performance much more than you might think!

I like the KLX motor, it's a lot like a 125 MXer: rev the snot out of it!

I say suspension first too and this includes tires. I'd get the springs and valving done to suit your weight, set the sag properly and put on some decent tires that suit the majority of your riding (soft or hard terrain) before putting any $ into the motor.

Ergos help a lot, too. Getting the bar bend, clutch effort, and brake pedal height right will have a big impact on the interface between you and the bike, which affects the bike's performance much more than you might think!

I like the KLX motor, it's a lot like a 125 MXer: rev the snot out of it!