Sign in to follow this  

My first post and questions (1980 cr390)

Hi!

I recently inherited several motorcycles. One is a 1980 Husqvarna cr390.

It had not been ridden or started since the late 90's. I drained the tank and wham bam kick started right up!

I thought the bike had a possible blown head gasket but have verified, to the best of my abilities, that it is not a blown head gasket but a leaking gasket where the exhaust hooks up to the engine.

a few questions:

Is there a place to buy a carb rebuild kit for this bike? or a guide to rebuild carbs in general?

Im new to working on motorcycles but do not fear it. The bike starts on the first kick but i have to give it a little gas just to keep it running. It hesitates sticks intermittently, sometimes the top %15 of the throttle just bogs the bike down. Been mixing generic 2 stroke oil 50:1.

I should mention that i did oil the chain and change the oil before attempting to start it.

Where is a good place to buy parts for this bike? Any good urls for them?

please forgive my noobness and thank you!

-Mark

Take the carb off and disassemble it all the way. Clean it out and replace any jets that can't be cleaned 100%. Replace the spark plug with the right NGK and go riding. Oh, I'm guessing it will need new control cables and the drum brakes cleaned up real good before you get good performance out of them. that's a nice model worth restoring if you want to.

Thanks for the feedback!

Im going to take the carburator apart soon and clean it. Will let yall know how everything goes.

I went to the motorcycle shop and asked for oil for the bike. They gave me one quart of Bel Ray Gear Saver motorcycle transmission oil sae 80w. Does that sound like the right oil to put in the crankcase?

thanks again

That oil will work fine. About any oil without friction modifiers (bad for wet clutches) is good for that task. next time just get the cheap stuff from the automotive section.

Spectro 85w gear oil 1 1/2 quarts. Important on this generation motor to lay bike on left hand side, then on to the right hand side before starting why? because the gear stack in this motor does not have bushings on some of the gears, they just spin on a splined shaft and can and will seize it self to the output shaft. Avoid long warm ups in neutral start it then putt around in 1st gear to warm it up. If oil leaks out from behind counter sprocket take off the sprocket, bearing retaining plate, and plastic sprocket spacer clean the seal look at the seal lip usually inside lip has been pushed in no longer sealing, you can use small wire gage to gently pull lip back into position. Sometimes this works if it is caught soon enough. Do not try to use any type of sealant as it will only pull the seal out and cause it to leak worse. Running these tyranny's low on oil will and does get ugly. It is important to take care of this motor because it the best of the 390 motors can be built to 412 (420) truly one of the BEST motors Husky has ever had. Hope this helps. Later George

Thanks again for all the replies!

Today i took apart the carb and cleaned it, took apart the front wheel and cleaned the brakes, lubed the cables with graphite, replaced the spark plug, and changed the oil again.

THIS SUCKER IS SCARY FAST! It will take some time to get used to the power. Now that the carb is clean, it just screams! Next step will probably be some type of shock servicing. Everything seems well with it though.

edit: should i be mixing the gas 50:1 or 40:1? It seems that most of the oil comes in 1 pint which is 40:1 in a 5 gallon tank.