Was anybody else ever in my situation?

Alright I'm 15 and have been into mountain biking for awhile now and am interested into getting into motocross. My problem is I've never ridden a dirt bike and dont know anybody that rides one. I live in the city and unlike many of you guys my family isn't in to dirt biking. So I'm kinda overwhelmed , I have no idea how to get started. I doubt anybody would let me just walk up and ride their bike. But how can I get riding experiance? The only way I figure is to spend some time at tracks, and eventually buy a bike. Does anyone else have any ideas? Are their websites that have good information for getting into the sport?

-peace out

Alright I'm 15 and have been into mountain biking for awhile now and am interested into getting into motocross. My problem is I've never ridden a dirt bike and dont know anybody that rides one. I live in the city and unlike many of you guys my family isn't in to dirt biking. So I'm kinda overwhelmed , I have no idea how to get started. I doubt anybody would let me just walk up and ride their bike. But how can I get riding experiance? The only way I figure is to spend some time at tracks, and eventually buy a bike. Does anyone else have any ideas? Are their websites that have good information for getting into the sport?

-peace out

yeah.... here lol. this is the biggest website for informtion on how to get into the sport.

here you'll prob be ble to meet a few ppl in OK that ride. find riding spots and tracks near you etc. whats ur size and weight, then we can recomend a good first bike for you.

Ha! that presents another problem! I'm currently 6'5" and 160 but I'm still growing and will probably be around 6'7" or so... I would need a bike that i could grow into as i will put on weight when im done growing. I was looking at 125 two strokes as I dont really want to race and i need something that is low maintenece as I have zero experiance.

I was in your position about 6 monhs ago.

I went ahead and bought a bike based on what i had read on magz and websites.

I started riding trails and eventually track.

Im still in the process of finding riding buddies that share the same preference, enduro riding and occasional mx.

But i have met and ridde with offroad guys, quads, SXers, etc...

The point is to get there you have to start moving.... dont worry you`ll have fun getting there.

I had some stupidly awkard mewby questions to.... I always waht to know how everything works and why.

There`s a saying here in Mexico: Curiosity killed the cat. well i was asking lots of questions to my grandma she got tired and told me that. A minute later she regreted about it because i was all over the place with questions about: What did he died from? Did someone killed him? Was he curious about a bad thing?, etc...

So Yes bikes have gears you have to shift them. you have the clutch on your left hand the throtle and the front brake on your right hand. The shifter on your left boot. (Yes you need boots to ride) The rear brake on your right boot.

It feel weird at first for some people but its pretty easy along the way.

You`ll learn when to shift because of the noise of the motor, the power its delivering, the obstacle ahead, etc...

DO you downshift by twisting the clutch in the opposite direction and pressing the shifter? when you start up your in neutral and must shift into first right? Dude, I honestly dont know. It would probably help if i knew how to drive a manual car, damn automatics.

Alright good, i understand al that, is the shifter a pedal like the rear brake is? Do you twist the clutch like you twist the throttle? Man i feel dumb.

Don't!!! There aren't any dumb questions...just dumb attitudes. Keep acting cool and humble like you already are and people will bend over backwards on this site to help you.

Start acting goofy or like a smartass and people will pounce on you.

You've found a great site and I wish you luck. If you lived closer to me, I would totally try to help you out w/ a ride, etc.

Good luck ?

No man no crap at all! It may sound sad to you guys who were riding before you could walk, but im interested in the sport and dont know were to start, oh and i figured out that to downshift you just press the shifter right? Its not the nicest thing to ask if im joking, I woulndnt waste you guys' time.

No worries, Just an observation. I have helped many people get into the sport over the years and it sounds like you and some buddys are sitting around laughing like school girls writing these posts. If not ask away, This is a tough site so do not be shy.........Start by picking up a copy of "On any Sunday". JF

Find a local shop and throw your leg over 125. You will meet plenty guys that will be more than willing to help you get started. If you have been riding mountain bikes you will have no problem with a motorcycle. Do not make the mistake of thinking you can pull off triple jumps or freestyle tricks your first time out. Start out by riding trails and smooth type tracks at your own pace.

Never ride without a helmet and riding boots. Sorry I am a dad and I do not want to see anybody get hurt. Here is your homework.....Learn the following.....

Whoops

WFO

flying W

Tank Slapper

Swapping

Wash Out

Endo

Monkey Ring

Have Fun!!! You will experience at least half of these your first year of ridding.

DO you think a yz125 would make a good first bike, i need something relatively bulletproof, would it be large enough for somebody 6'5" I realize with dirt bikes sizing isnt as important as mountain bikes (frame size etc.) Honestly I think if I went out to the middle of a big field even without help i could figure it out after awhile, if i had a bike that is.

Mabey I'll make a deal with somebody that I'll buy a bike of them if they'll teach me the basics, or I'll go alone and play it by ear.lol Im to much of a sissy to ride without protective gear. Ive witnessed nasty wipeouts while mt biking.

You need to have some one teach you the basics. You will need to learn how to start, mix the gas and some basic maintainence even before you ride. Once you get the basics you will be fine, it is really not that difficult. Like I said, go to a local shop and talk to them. That is the way I started over 30 years ago and I continue to ride and race along with my family and friends. Do not let another day go by, head to the shop.