How to Wheelie?

aahh the good old party trick theres an easy way to start doin the wheelstand have your foot on the back brake ready to push if the front gets to high and one or two fingers on the clutch to disengage power to the rear wheel. now your on a small bore four stroke like me i have the 06 model wr 250 and have 13-52 gearing you want to be just under the mid range give it some clutch some decent revs be seated back on the seat and add more clutch as you get comfortable with this trick but definately have the finger on the clutch and foot ready to brake if necissary and if you are like i was you will be cautious when trying because it is one easy way to break your back or neck which would be the end of your career and bike riding ability. now i jump on my dads 525 ktm and there is just no need for the clutch just crack the throttle and short shift through the gears. because if you get to high in the revs you will end up either flipping or loosing needed traction. have fun and ride safe ?

i linked to threads, some of which i have replied in, and most which have varied ways.

i did help. more than you have.

Since when is being a dick to everybody helping?

You want to hear my solution so I can help.

Put the bike in second or third get it into band, compress front forks, lean back, gas and allow the forks to decompress and then the front wheel is lifted into the air. la-di-freaking-da

wheelies are great. they teach you excellent throttle and brake control. ask any good rider how much wheelies help teach you those 2 things. if they are good riders, they will agree how great of a training technique it can be.

Very true, and wheelies can be used to lift your tires over logs and rocks and such.

didnt really understand that, but when you reach the balance point, you stablize the throttle, that way you dont go back any further.

as for your legs, your feet should always be planted on the pegs. y they arnt IDK. i used to bring he TTR back to a full 12 in 1st gear to get better brake control (i wrecked alot doing this...) but my feet always stay planted.

1. For the person who said "why do wheelies" the reason is to look kool and have everyone wish that they had the balls or the ability to do likewise.

2. I cannot wheelie so I have to just watch and weep.

I have tried most of the techniques mentioned here, and I know I am probably just not being aggressive enough but my ageing body keeps reminding me that it takes longer to heal now than when I was young and stupid.

I used to blame the bike as being too heavy and underpowered (96 XR4 and me 102kg). But I've seen blokes biggern' me on older bikes loft it in 3rd gear.

a) Tried leaning back and gassing it: nice acceleration but no air.

? Tried compressing the forks and hittin' it on the way up but I have my rebound damping set nice and slow (how I like it) so it hardly seems to add anything into the lift.

c) Tried cruisin in 2nd or 3rd and dumping the clutch but maybe I'm not letting it out quick enough (too cautious?) because the bike just seems to lurch and the clutch slips out. BTW I don't think my clutch is slippy or badly adjusted because it works OK on hills and under load just fine and I had the plates out recently when I had to replace the lifter pin and they are all well within spec (in fact the look quite new) and the spring tension is very good (about the same as other XRs). Am I not revving high enough or am I just feeding out the clutch rather than dumping it?

d) Tried launching off a small bump. Didn't do much I just blasted through and over it.

e) Tried standing, leaning back and lifting the forks while gassing it. maybe my timing sucks because I just end up being poorly balanced when the rear bites and the bike rockets off.

f) Tried it on an up-hill and I can get the wheel to lift a bit under acceleration but no more than a few inches off the ground then I need to change gear.

g) Tried getting out of control and careening up and over vertical sides of tracks. This works well and I can get nice height and some distance before I part company with my bike. Not really what I was after though.

maybe I'm just a wuss destined to admire and not participate....

Meatbomb.....