Sign in to follow this  

KLX110 for a kid

My son who is 8 1/2 years old and 4'-4" tall with a 24" inseam has started expressing an intersest in a motorcycle. I'm not sure what he weighs but he is built like a stick figure.

Has anyone bought a KLX110 for their son or daughter? How big were they when they started riding it?

Also, do you think learning to ride with the auto clutch is better than learning the manual clutch right off the bat?

I would rather buy something he needs to grow into a little, than something he will grow out of in a season.

Hi,

This past Christmas I bought my son a KLX 110. First motorcycle for him

He was 9, approx 4'10'' and 125 #'s.

It was a good bike to learn on, automatic clutch and small size.

Plus they are tons of options for future upgrades.

These bikes have a good bit of power for a new rider, but they come with a throttle limiting setup that helps some.

The only negative is it doesn't have much of a suspension for motocross/off road stuff.

He hit a growing spurt and advanced pertty quick so we upgraded to KX 85 which is workin out pretty well.

A much better suspension and the transition wasn't too bad.(learning to use a clutch and the 2 stroke thing)

Hope this helps!!

Ron

So far so good

My son is 9 and loves his. The 110 is the new pit bike king and there is more aftermarket for this bike than I have ever seen. As stated before, the suspension is limited in stock form howver there are several companies that product great kits for it. It's probably the most affordable to upgrade. Have fun. (I almost forgot it can be changed to a fully manual clutch when he gets riding dialed in.) :thumbsup:

My 8 year old went from a crf50 to crf70 and now a klx 110 within a year. If I had to do it again, I would have started with the 110. Same height as a crf70 but more power to grow into.

My son rides very aggresively but is still not ready for a clutch. Have them learn basice riding and balancing skills before they have to master a clutch.

Good luck

my son started at 4 1/2 on a pw 50, then graduated to a ktm pro sr 50 the same year, at 6 (last yr.)i bought him a klx, sold the pw, he rode the ktm most of the time , but as any ktm parent knows they seem to always have issues, so when the clutch exploded he started riding the klx, it's a very easy bike to learn on & as stated earlier, tons of aftermarket parts for it :thumbsup: he now rides a kx65 also, the whole clutch/shifting thing went easier than i thought it would :ride:

Thanks for the replies.

I have had my eye on the 110 for a few months and figured that would be the bike I buy for him. My concern was that he is not big enough yet. I put him on the scale last night and he topped out at 60 lbs. I'll try to do something by his birthday in October or Christmas at the latest. I told him to start dropping hints to Mom.

My son is 7 and weighs about 45 lbs dripping wet. He has his own CRF50 but last week we were visiting some relatives and he rode their kids KLX110 with no problems at all. He absolutely loved the extra power compared to his CRF. His feet would just touch the ground with boots on and his only issue was picking the bike up after he dumped it...not quite enough muscle to get the job done.

I got my 7 1/2 year old son his KLX110 last September. I am going to try to keep him on it for at least another year. He says he wants a KX85 but he's not ready. Get your son the KLX110 and just keep upgrading it until he really out grows it. They sell tall seats and riser bars and and and darn near everything.

There is really a lot of stuff out there for these bikes, I had no idea.

I have rseen some complaints about the suspension, although they were not very specific. Is it too soft or harsh?

Could it be made better with just springs and/or oil? I realize it only has 4"+ travel, how bad could it be? I don't think he'll be clearing any triples with it, at least not the first year. :thumbsup:

The suspension is made for a beginner. It is soft and forgiving for kids just starting out. I believe you can put on KX65 forks when you are ready to move up. Then again there are a million after market parts if you have a fat wallet. My son just started jumping and so far it has not been a problem. He wants to try out some local tracks so we should start seeing suspension problems if he gets serious. My Son is about 4'6" and weighs about 85 lbs. if that helps.

He's plenty big enough for the 110. My boy's 7yrs old, 48" tall and weighs 60#; he rides a RM65. His buddy has a TTR90, very similar to the KLX110. Both boys have a blast ripping around on the lil' thumper.

As for upgrades, I'd suggest not dumping cubic dollars into the KLX. You could have over $4000 wrapped up into it, and a rock-stock $1500 KX65 would walk away from it. Oh, and the 4K KLX would only be worth 2K. When he's ready to go fast, take advantage of the millions of R&D dollars that the manufacture's spend in making bikes that are made to go fast.