Sign in to follow this  

Best bike for a newer rider

I am looking to buy my first dual sport bike. I am a newer rider, and so far all of my time has been on the road on my Suzuki SV650S. I want something street legal so I can ride it to the trail. I am a woman, 5'4", and 135 lbs, and I have been riding for only a year. My main interest is in a bike that will be good to learn on, and dirt performance takes precedence. I also need something I can stand over.

So please let me know your recemmendations! Please let me know make, specific model, and specific years to look for. I want to get something for $3000 or under. Thanks for your help!!

either a yamaha xt225(ok in the dirt) or a kawasaki klx250s(better in the dirt)

these are new bikes though..ims ure there are plenty of used bikes for way less and would do fine for you though...

Finally a woman I can see eye to eye with, lol.

I am about the same height as you and thought my old KLR250 was a good height for rider with less inseam. I understand the sherpa is a bit lower. I don't think they make either bike anymore but I have seen several of them used as they where popular. The KLR was not a bike to go fast on but it will take you any place you want.

The older Honda XR250L's were pretty dirt worthy. I think they made them in the early 90's. If you could find one of those, they might be pretty cheap. Also, the DR250's were not bad bikes. Suzuki has been making a DRZ200 for a few years now, not sure what a used one would go for. I would recommend a DRZ400 if you want good dirt performance, but the height would be too much I think.

look around. there are probably a few used 200-250cc bikes in your area that some one else learned on and moved up from. i like the xt225 myself but any of the brads will do just as well to learn on.

Whatever bike you decide to look at, ask the current owner to gently lay it on it's side & you get it back up on its wheels,,, remember you may have to do this quite a few times in the dirt,, get one you can safely manage...

A used Honda XL250 would be a great bike if you could find one in good shape. They are lower than the XR250L. Should be able to find one for about $1500 or so. The suspension is not as good, but is adequate for most things. I just sold a 1985 XL250.. It was a good bike for my Dad to learn on.

Whatever bike you decide to look at, ask the current owner to gently lay it on it's side & you get it back up on its wheels,,, remember you may have to do this quite a few times in the dirt,, get one you can safely manage...

With the right technique my 95lb girlfriend can and has lifted my DRZ fully loaded. In the wrong situation I can and have needed to kick her 125 a long way down a hill before I could get the footing to lift it. Any bike the poster can comfortably saddle she can lift.

As suggested above, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa might be ideal, because:

1. Low seat height.

2. Electric starter.

3. AFFORDABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While not marketed new in the US now, plenty of slightly-used Super Sherpas are available at bargain prices.

Doubtlesss, other models would work; the Super Sherpa just immediately came to mind, given the requirements stated.