Sign in to follow this  

Riders and Riding in Montana

I don't see any posts from Montana :thumbsup:

Not much riding there?

I have twenty acres in Lewistown and will eventually take my bike up there and do some serious riding.

Any info would be helpful. :ride:

I know there is a motocross track outside of Lewistown. My parents have a ranch there up in the Snowy Mountains. Did a lot of riding on it when I was younger. Not sure what other riding is available. There are a lot of gravel roads that lead into many of the hills in the area, but I doubt there is much in the way of singletrack riding. Here's a link to the local racing info

http://www.montanamotocross.com/

Most people in the area snowmobile.

Where is your 20 acres?

There are endless miles of singletrack here.

We currently have available appx 925,000 acres of public lands open to OHV recreation in the state. That may or may not change come spring when they vote on changes to the USFS area usage.

Between here (Great Falls) and Lewistown there is some of the best riding areas to be found.

You have the Little Belt Range and the Highwood range as well as the foothills.

There are several threads in here discussing MT trails.

I know of at least 5 TT members from MT as well as myself and hubby.

Feel free to ask for specifics if you like on the trails we ride. I know of trails that form 50 mile loops and hundreds of various skill areas within an hour of either Great Falls or Lewistown.

The Little Belts sit right between the two.

Montana Trail Riders Association website: http://www.mtvra.com

Edited to add:

Ummm...what happened to the other pages in this section? A few days ago there were quite a few more...now only 2?

There was a thread about riding up to Glacier Nat'l Park and other MT areas ( I had a couple posts in it so I know I didn't imagine it).

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

From Lewistown, the Little Belts would definately be a great ride. I rode there last Saturday. Although a little dry, the riding was exellent. Also right in that area is the Castle Mtns. They have some nice single track too, although it is alittle more challenging. Most of the access to the Snowies is private, and I dont know of alot of riding up there, other than road riding. It takes some looking, but there is tons and tons of good riding here. You just dont here alot about it, cause we keep it kinda quiet, that way we dont have as many problems as the rest of you seem too.

I was up at Thompson Falls last year and ther were tons of fire roads and quite a bit of good single track. What blew me away was the altitude or lack thereof. I know there are some tall peacks in the state but where I was at the Columbia river ran thru the valley and the elevation of the valley floor was only 2600 feet. We climbed 4000 feet which is substantial but the peaks in that area topped out at 6500 or so. really pretty neat cause the bikes dont loose so much performance and you are still in some great mountains.

Elevation is more of an issue in the South Central part of the state. One ride we do in the Beartooths takes us from 4200 ft to 10,200 ft. The bikes dont run so good up there. It is still fun though. I havent ridden the very Northwest part of the state yet, but the very southwest is sure fun, as is the northeast, the southcentral and central that I ride regularly. :thumbsup:

Elevation is more of an issue in the South Central part of the state. One ride we do in the Beartooths takes us from 4200 ft to 10,200 ft. The bikes dont run so good up there. It is still fun though. I havent ridden the very Northwest part of the state yet, but the very southwest is sure fun, as is the northeast, the southcentral and central that I ride regularly. :thumbsup:

Starting out can't you jet for 9K feet or so and duct tape up part of your air intake hole while down low?

I know there is a motocross track outside of Lewistown. My parents have a ranch there up in the Snowy Mountains. Did a lot of riding on it when I was younger. Not sure what other riding is available. There are a lot of gravel roads that lead into many of the hills in the area, but I doubt there is much in the way of singletrack riding. Here's a link to the local racing info

http://www.montanamotocross.com/

Most people in the area snowmobile.

Where is your 20 acres?

Thanks for the info.

My twenty is actually about 20 minutes east of Lewistown in an area called Forest Grove. Do you know of it?