Sign in to follow this  

88 kit instal problems/ nothing @ kick starter

SO I finished the install on my 88 kit. When I went to kick it nothing happened, there was no tension on the kick starter. If I put the bike in gear and push the kick lever it turns the rear wheel, but I cannot hear feel any movement from the piston. If I turn the fly wheel the piston moves and seems to have compression, as it gets easy, little hard, easy, and then harder.

I also did the high volume oil pump and clutch springs. and layed the bile on it's side briefly to get the cluch put back together.

So what did I do? Could something have come undone in the trannie/kickstarter, or did I some how screw up the rings on the piston, and now have no compression? I am totally stumped and could use some suggestions.

Thanks

Try adjusting your clutch. Sounds weird, but I am serious.

Or it could be that you didn't put the clutch together right. Are you sure you got #20 in there the right way? http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0376/clutch/clutch.cfm?man=ho&groupid=14250&parent=14240

If your clutch doesn't grab then your crank will not turn when you kick it over. The kickstart spins #19 which turns your clutch to spin the crank. If the clutch ain't grabbing then the crank ain't spinning.

I am pretty sure your problem is in your clutch cause that's the only thing you took apart that could cause the problem you are having.

Yeah thanks mello, I messed with it last night the problem is definently in the clutch somewhere, I will be checking into it tonight.

Well I got it all togther and working. I finished it up at lunch today I gave it a couple of kicks, but it didn't fire. So now I will be working on that. Thanks for the help, the link to the diagram did the trick. Thanks

Best guess if it don't fire right away (if your a reasonable mechanic) is the valve adjustment, thats been my problem both rebuilds, get them set correctly and everythings gonna be fine, by the way, how long did it take you to install the clutch cover on the bike? Was it easy?

well im glad someone dug this up because im having a similar starting problem. Mine will kick thru a couple times and fee like its not spining the motor then kick it again and you can feel the motor turning over & it starts right up. The bike runs great when started just alittle weird on starting. Its been like this for almost a year now. This is on a 93 Z50 with a TB 88 kit and everything else stock.