Sign in to follow this  

Ride report, 250 xcf-w.

I took my 250 xcf-w for a break-in ride today and rode 27 miles of fairly easy, open trail. This is what I thought.

Right off the bat, the first thing I noticed was how bad the carb was jetted. The bike is 100% stock at this point, I haven't changed a thing. I could barely keep it running without the choke at first. I even had to keep the choke on to get it moving after warmup or it would die. Once underway I was able to ride it without the choke and it did get better, but the low end was way off. This was my only peeve today. Well that and maybe the seat felt like a brick compared to the Honda.

I was very impressed with the suspension. I weigh 155 w/o gear. I didn't touch the clickers or even set the sag. It is very plush and has good bottoming resistance. It tracks well and feels very planted. The bike turned well and had no headshake at any speed.

Power is incredible. The bottom end is very strong and it just builds from there. There is no discernible hit, just very strong usable power from idle to redline. You can ride this bike any way you want. You can lug it all day or wind the crap out of it like a 125. I know it will improve even more as I get the carb sorted out. This thing is fast! It will flat out kill my crf.

As for the gearing, it felt just right, not gappy at all. The bike has so much power you can easily pull a gear too high out of a corner. First gear is kind of low with the 52T rear. Not unusable, just a little lower than I'd like. I'd be tempted to try a 50T as it has plenty of power to pull it.

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'm glad I got the W. It's even better than I thought it would be. I was concerned about the suspension but it is far better than I expected. Anyone who gets this bike won't be dissapointed.

Sounds good! Check your pilot jet, it sounds like it could be partailly plugged?

Check where your fuel screw is, may want to run it a bit further out?

your ride report is very much appreciated. I was leaning away from the "W"

until I hear you say it can be ridden like a 125. COOL!! I wasn't expecting that kind of snap. Thanks again for your post. Now I'm really getting antsy!!

If it's anything like the sxf's were wait until you get around 10 hours on it!!....MUCH better!!

I wonder if you could use the SXF CDI box to make it "snapper" if you were so inclined? On the 2-stroke there is a connector you can unplug to change ign maps/timing advance. Do these have this too?

If I had the bucks I would be all over one of these too. Even though I have allways prefered the wide-ratio trans I think the susp upgrade and triple clamps on the XC would be REALLY tempting! The XC will be too stiff for my prefered riding style but I can fix the valving myself so no big deal...

Maybe I'll hit the lottery? :thumbsup:

I'm sure it's jetted pretty lean to make it green-sticker legal here in California.

Mess about with the needle and see where that gets you.

Thanks for the report. I ride mostly in USFS areas, so the bike as delivered wouldn't work because of the lack of a spark arrester. ON Monday, I ordered an FMF pipe which came in today, but the bike didn't run well at all, so we're putting in a JD kit. Hopefully that will clear things up.

Thank you for taking the time for a nice write up.

Be patient with some initial impressions for when I purchased my second SXF, I tried comparing it to the 05 with 100 hrs on it. That was not good because the new bike would not even idle until it got 25 hrs on it. I was constantly fiddling with the carb when good ol riding hrs is what it needed.

We all hope that you will not need to make $ modifications to this model to have an all around good road/off-road bike.

I moved the clip to position 6 to make it run very rich on break in. Turned my fuel out to 2.5 but once the hrs got up on the motor, it started and ran much better lean.

So good to hear that you can pull a gear taller with the W. I would never have suspected that opinion, but the motor is very strong for a 250f. The too low first gear is why I feel the W contributes to more shifting in the woods. Hopefully your 50 tooth will prevent you from jamming down into first coming into a corner only to find that its too low and grabbing second.

Count your compression and rebound clickers that it was shipped with when you get a chance.

Glad to have in the fold

Ponie: Thanks. With the spark arrested FMF pipe, I had to go from 165 to 177 main jet. That worked wonders.

All of the reviews, rider and magazine seem to be singing the praises of this bike!!! Can't wait to put some hours on it (starting tomorrow!)

B Z

Installed 46 pilot and put the clip 5th position from the top to get thinks going, bike has so much good power, just like you say, you can torque it though or ride the top end HP with the front end grabbing for the sky. Will rejet after 312 kit installed, will play with gearing later, I have a few places I go that the low 1st gear will be a piece of cake. I can't wait to put for time on it...

Mine wouldn't hardly run (low rpm & idle) either at first - at least the first 30 miles - it just needed to have some time on it - now approaching 100 miles and she's idling fine, running fine with stock jetting.

This thing is STRONG and will pull tall gears no problem - suspension in the ball park too (although I did adjust mine to what all my KTM's end up with before I ever rode it the 1st time)

this bike has it all over the CRF250R that I had - not much comparison motor or suspension - I'm speaking for woods use only - not MX, but I had my CRF redone for woods use and it still wasn't this good.

Great bike - got my vote so far at least - although I'm not selling the YZ either.

Katoom:

I had the same problem with mine, but also had bad gas from the dealer that plugged everything up. Went with an FMF Powercore Titanium with SA and quiet insert and moved the main jet from 165-177. So far, so good. Still in the break in part.

D Bliz

Installed 46 pilot and put the clip 5th position from the top to get thinks going, bike has so much good power, just like you say, you can torque it though or ride the top end HP with the front end grabbing for the sky. Will rejet after 312 kit installed, will play with gearing later, I have a few places I go that the low 1st gear will be a piece of cake. I can't wait to put for time on it...

I may get the 312 kit so give full info pleaze??? Are you having HT build the motor??

Yes, dropping off at Bill's house on Sat, I have been talking to Bill and he has been great, will pick up the next Sat after that and break end on Sunday...Bill is also getting a KTM250XC-W and will do his new 330cc kit to his (stroking a little) then try to blow it up. He says he wants plenty of time on the kit to make sure it holds together before the kit is ava to the public. Bill is doing a 312 this week already, I won't be doing any port work to the head, don't want a high rev engine, just that 40% more torque and 5-6 ponies...

Thanks for the ride report, I too am looking at the 250 XCF-W. Called one shop today and was told that I had to be put on the list which is fine but they also told me that I should by one where ever I can find one so looks like I will be doing more looking around.

If you don't mind me asking what the cost of your bike? Please pm me if you don't want to share that info with the forum.

Yes, dropping off at Bill's house on Sat, I have been talking to Bill and he has been great, will pick up the next Sat after that and break end on Sunday...Bill is also getting a KTM250XC-W and will do his new 330cc kit to his (stroking a little) then try to blow it up. He says he wants plenty of time on the kit to make sure it holds together before the kit is ava to the public. Bill is doing a 312 this week already, I won't be doing any port work to the head, don't want a high rev engine, just that 40% more torque and 5-6 ponies...

Bill? As far as stroking this is the big difference beteween the 400 and 450 and the only reason the 400 is a much better woods bike. Stroking is for dragsters not woods bikes.lol

Thanks for the ride report. Since you were previously riding a CRF250x, how does you new 250 XCF-W compare in terms of handling and power. I know it may take a few rides for you but please keep us informed. Thanks.

Thanks for the ride report. Since you were previously riding a CRF250x, how does you new 250 XCF-W compare in terms of handling and power. I know it may take a few rides for you but please keep us informed. Thanks.

I have a CRF250X with WER suspension, Crower cam and ported head and a Pro Circuit 496 muffler and header.Anyone who's ridden it says it's faster and stronger than a 280X when ridden back to back.And the suspension is excellent.

I rode a brand new 250XCF last night for about 25 miles. It is much faster and stronger than my bike...really nice motor! Suspension was a little stiff...but it's new and box stock. It feels really light and the handling and steering was excellent. The worst thing about the KTM is that you will want to buy one! I have a brand new 250X in a crate....anyone want to buy it cheap?

Bill? As far as stroking this is the big difference beteween the 400 and 450 and the only reason the 400 is a much better woods bike. Stroking is for dragsters not woods bikes.lol

But that stroked 250 will still have a much lighter feel than the 400. Some stroke is a good idea on a bike that only displaces 250cc.

Greg