Sign in to follow this  

Did anyone else figure out the MindFreak jump trick last night?

Pretty interesting episode of Chriss Angel's "MindFreak" magic/illusion show last night on A&E. (This is the first episode of his show I've watched -- my son conned me into watching it.) Chriss supposedly learned how to jump a dirtbike with some coaching, and then did a 100' ramp-to-dirt jump at night in front of a crowd. He made it look like he disappeared into thin air mid-jump (in a fireball, BTW), and only the MX bike landed on the dirt ramp. Pretty amusing -- here's the blurb from his website:

http://www.crissangel.com/dvd_tv/data/generic_site/crissangel/dvd_tv/tv.html

100 FOOT BIKE JUMP

As a longtime fan of motorcycle jump legend Evel Knieval, Criss attempts his first monumental jump. He trains with champion aerialist and world record jump holder, Trigger Gunn. Criss will hit an 60-foot long, 20-foot high ramp at 50 mph, if brothers Costa and JD don’t stop him first, What happens next is either disaster or the ultimate Mindfreak! Special guests: Trigger Gunn, Carey Hart, Ice Cube

Chriss Angel is only a novice rider, so it was pretty obvious how they swapped in a better rider for the final pass at the ramp for the 100' jump. But that disappearing rider thing was definitely a great illusion. My son and I finally figured it out, but it took us a few minutes and some TiVo replays.

Did anybody else figure it out? Very slick. I'll post what our answer is after I see if anybody else watched the show last night.

i seen it but didnt pay much mind to it so yeah dude what did u think that they did to set it up

Ive seen it before. tell us the answer i would like to know how he did it!

I'll post the answer in about an hour before I head home from work. We talked through a bunch of possibilities, like a helicopter with a rope, or a stuntman yank strap to pull the rider down and left in the fireball. But the run-in was too long to allow a cable or a strap to work.

No, there was only one way to do that trick so well. Hey, here's a hint. Did you notice how the rider/stuntman did a brake tap right after taking off to pull the nose down slightly? And did you notice how the bike was so nose-high when it came out of the fireball?

I'll post the answer in about an hour before I head home from work. We talked through a bunch of possibilities, like a helicopter with a rope, or a stuntman yank strap to pull the rider down and left in the fireball. But the run-in was too long to allow a cable or a strap to work.

No, there was only one way to do that trick so well. Hey, here's a hint. Did you notice how the rider/stuntman did a brake tap right after taking off to pull the nose down slightly? And did you notice how the bike was so nose-high when it came out of the fireball?

I'd like to know how he did it.

So can you figure out how he's able to "walk on water?"

or make it look like he cut someone in half?

Did you see the "bike" when it hit the ramp? People are so... ignorant? at times!

Did you see the "bike" when it hit the ramp? People are so... ignorant? at times!

Hmmm. Actually I thought that was the same bike that took off. Do you think it was different or fake? If it's fake, that would maybe change part of my answer.

Oh, and I haven't seen the walking on water one yet. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The one last night with him climbing out through the unbroken plate glass window was a pretty good trick too, but not too hard to figure out. It's fun trying to figure out how many shills he has to use on each illusion too.

Hmmm. Actually I thought that was the same bike that took off. Do you think it was different or fake? If it's fake, that would maybe change part of my answer.

Oh, and I haven't seen the walking on water one yet. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The one last night with him climbing out through the unbroken plate glass window was a pretty good trick too, but not too hard to figure out. It's fun trying to figure out how many shills he has to use on each illusion too.

Totally cardboard! I'm not even sure why I was watching that show. I'll try and find a video link...

Okay, time to ride home. Here's the way we think it was done (with a 2nd possibility listed after if it turns out Cozza is right about the final bike):

The rider was obviously a pro (as opposed to the newbie rider Chriss). You could see him brake tap the nose down slightly just after takeoff -- definitely no newbie at controlling the bike in flight. Once he got just into the fireball, he pushed the bike as hard forward and up as he could (that's why the bike was so nose-high coming out of the fireball). That push slowed him down and dropped his trajectory, so he hit the face of the dirt landing ramp where a camoflaged stuntman airbag was pre-positioned. He rolled off the airbag to the far side of the jump before the fireball subsided. Great trick. :thumbsup:

Now if Cozza is right and the bike that hit the landing ramp wasn't the same as the takeoff bike, then there's a slightly different way it was probably done. They would have shot up a net probably in the fireball to snag the rider and bike and pull them down into the stunt landing airbag, and tossed out the 2nd bike onto the ramp from in the fireball.

But I'm pretty sure that bailing hard in the air would be the safest way to get angled down into the airbag. Guess I'm going to have to watch it on TiVo again tonight!

ok I just watched it.

HAHAHAHA! they expect us to not figure it out?

Chriss Angel sucks.

look how fast hes goin when he hits the jump then his bike stilll doesnt clear the jump......hes a foney

that trick was stupid...why does he say hes gonna jump 100 feet then appear in the croud...thats dumb it woulda been cooler if he actually woulda jumped even tho thats not him in the first place

Hey, how does he levitate ? I have seen that wierdo David Blane do it :applause: . I am still confused on how he does that. :thumbsup::ride: Anybody?

Are they gonna Show it on TV today? If yes what time and channel? i cant use the links because my computer broke :thumbsup: and not gonna be fixed 4 few more days :applause: , so i need to use my PSP to go to the Internet and it really slow and pain in the :ride: to type!

Hey, how does he levitate ? I have seen that wierdo David Blane do it . I am still confused on how he does that. Anybody?

Look up Balducci Levitation.

Also, when Blaine is lifted high in the air,they cut back to a crowd that is showing amazement at a different trick. That is all video editing. He does the 2-3 ft levitation with cables. The Balducci levitation is what he does in front of the crowd. they intermix the editing and it looks like the crowd is watching him levitate 3 feet off the ground when they are really watching him go 2-3 inches using the Balducci.

Tim