Sign in to follow this  

Effect of partly crushed head pipe?

Hi guys.

Here's a naive one from a downhill mtb racer just turned to moto.

The head pipe on my 2005 CRF450X is bent and partly crushed in a couple spots. I'd say it's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 blocked, if that. The bike starts and runs fine, but I feel like it's not as snappy as it way.

You're probably saying "Duh!"

What specific effect will this blockage have? Low end, mid range, high end, acne?

Hi guys.

Here's a naive one from a downhill mtb racer just turned to moto.

The head pipe on my 2005 CRF450X is bent and partly crushed in a couple spots. I'd say it's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 blocked, if that. The bike starts and runs fine, but I feel like it's not as snappy as it way.

You're probably saying "Duh!"

What specific effect will this blockage have? Low end, mid range, high end, acne?

Time for a new header - apart from the potential to damage your motor through excessive backpressure and overheating, it will be killing your performance in general - but mostly top end.

Replace that headpipe! You risk severe overheating and engine damage. In case you didn't know, a four stroke generates a lot of heat when running normally, so any damage needs to be fixed ASAP

muffler/midpipe dents is bad, headpipe dents are potentially disasterous.

Its not worth the $89 your saving to chance it.

Hi,

My mechanics is able to fix this partly crushed head pipe, so you should find one in your area. He puts a plug on opposite, hot the head pipe and blows air with pressure, like you did with former 2 stroke. If it's not too many crushed, roughly one third of diameter, it works 'cause he did it on my former CRF 450 with sucess. Plugs are the boring and long job but he could use them again for others customers...

Otherwise it's a good opportunity to try an aftermarket one and report on this forum.