Sign in to follow this  

What's a REAL "Privateer"?

We've got people callin' Wey and his MDK Team and the MotoSport Outlet types "Privateers"?

Oh, really?

You tell me, what is a privateer...really?

I see that some of us are callin' Chad Reed's 2007 Team "Privateer"...now, that's a laugh!

You can define "Privateer" as any pro racer who doesn't get his paychecks directly from a manufacturer. Actually, the "factory riders" aren't employees of the factory, they are considered outside contractors (don't ask me why).

a classic version of a privateer is, buy a bike, enter a race, and become a legend

its basicly some seriously sick and awesome riders that race outta pocket

Being a privateer would be simply defined as not having a factory ride. I you race on a team but bought the bikes yourself, I would say that you are a privateer.

You can define "Privateer" as any pro racer who doesn't get his paychecks directly from a manufacturer. Actually, the "factory riders" aren't employees of the factory, they are considered outside contractors (don't ask me why).

you're absolutly right privateers in the pro world are either self sponsered or sponsered by a shop.they also may get some help from a m/c parts distributer with a sponsership program or even local businesses i.e.trucking companies,auto parts stores,machine shops or whoever they can get to throw something their way.from what i've seen the paychecks aren't much.at least in flattrack anyway.

Another way to look at this and I do, way back when and not riding mx but riding bmx was- 'privateer' was 'co-sponsored' by a bike shop FOR some 'factory,' etc. In my case I was and I got 'discounts' on equipment, but not a 'facotry ride,' and as far as sx/mx is concerned, to me, same thing. Nick Wey is far beyond a 'privateer' as one in sx/mx would at most be 'co-sponsored' by some bike shop (his only endorsement) and of which they aren't paying his bills. For Wey, they ARE paying his bills- travel, parts, bike, etc, and congrats to 'Wey,' like the dude (from what I've seen in interviews let alone riding) and although 'called' 'privateer,' the *real* 'privateer' is the guy in the pickup truck, no 'co-sponsors' and showing up to race all the nationals and placing in the top ten. Etc.

I went to the St. Louis SX this year and when we were leaving we saw a guy push his bike out of the arena, down the street and load it in the back of a pickup. Thats what I call a privateer. It kind of bugs me to see these guys that ride for some of these guys that ride for high dollar teams win privateer of the year awards. And take home a brand new truck and trailer that they don't need.

team solitare thats a group of privateers. owned and operated by a rider.

Just like Chad Reed next year.

Another way to look at this and I do, way back when and not riding mx but riding bmx was- 'privateer' was 'co-sponsored' by a bike shop FOR some 'factory,' etc. In my case I was and I got 'discounts' on equipment, but not a 'facotry ride,' and as far as sx/mx is concerned, to me, same thing. Nick Wey is far beyond a 'privateer' as one in sx/mx would at most be 'co-sponsored' by some bike shop (his only endorsement) and of which they aren't paying his bills. For Wey, they ARE paying his bills- travel, parts, bike, etc, and congrats to 'Wey,' like the dude (from what I've seen in interviews let alone riding) and although 'called' 'privateer,' the *real* 'privateer' is the guy in the pickup truck, no 'co-sponsors' and showing up to race all the nationals and placing in the top ten. Etc.

We have a WINNER...well...2, actually!

scav_engr & MEDSKER...both nailed it!

A "Real" privateer is the guy that's runnin' the circuit on his own and of his own money and equipment.

He's the guy tryin' to make it happen!

MotoSport Outlet-MDK, Star Racing Lucas Oil, YoT...Chad's '07 Team...etc., That AIN'T what's implied/intended by the term "Privateer" (Which, BTW, is an old Pirating name from a long, long time ago...)

That kid pushin' his bike back to the truck after the nite was over at the SX in St. Lous...

The guy you see racin' outta the back of his pick-up or van at a National...

Those are the Real Privateers.

There's a Video out there about these guys.

Go get it.