Sign in to follow this  

S vs SM Question...

Hey guys, I've been riding on the road more than the dirt and I was wondering a few things that maybe you could help me with...

* Can you put street tires on the existing S rims, or do you need the smaller rims that come on the SM? If so, what are some economical/decent street tires that fit the existing S rims?

* Do I really need to put a larger rotor on or can I make due with what's on there?

* Will the full street tire take away the numbness that happens in my thumb and feet that I currently get, or is the vibration that causes the numbness inherent in the engine and mount? I've loosened my grip on the bars and put on pro tapers, but I still get numb in my right hand...

I currently have a Trackmaster II on the back and an MT18 or 21 on the front. I did that because I thought I was going to be doing more offroad riding, but that won't happen more until my son is a little older (3 years) and I have someone to take offroad with me.

I don't really need anything high performance, I won't be dragging my knees on the curves. I just want a smoother tire and the capability of leaning a "little" bit into the curve.

Thanks and sorry that this is so long...

Tim

I was stuck in this same situation. Converted to SM, never looked back. Kick myself for not doing it sooner.

HH

You can get decent street tires for the S. I hate them offroad but the Trailwings are a capable street tire. You may be able to get an Avon Distanzia or a Pirelli Scorpion to fit the stock S wheels. They are both much more tame than even the Deathwings and should make for a smoother ride (If you never leave the Asphalt and hardpack). If you plan to go SM. figure on spending in the neighborhood of $1500+ for a complete new set of wheels, tires, tubes etc, not to mention SM sprockets, bigger front rotor, caliper bracket and axle rollers. Aspencop has a sweet set of wheels tires with stock brakes (direct bolt on) in the Classifieds right now.

Unless you want to pull 300 foot stoppies the stock front rotor works fine (I'm bigger than the average rider 6'4" 365).

Put the rubber inserts back in your pegs (If they were gone when you got them you can get them from a dealer). Street use only.

A Corbin, Renazco or Bill Maier seat will cushion your backside and Tag rubber mount bars or a FLEX setup with Gel grips will keep your hands from tingling.

I have spent the last month researching these exact isues.

So you know what will be on my christmas list.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have recommendations for street tires other than the trailwings and what size would I get?

Tim