Sign in to follow this  

How to get step-father to stop being overprotective of bike?

Hey guys iv got a bit of a dillemma here, my step-father of 4 years recently signed for me to get a new 06 KX250F, i put 1000$ from last summer down and am currently making the minimum monthly payment(69$)x2 each month in order to pay it off fast. However my step-dad has been being overly protective of it,

Its a difficult situation because he was sexually assaulted as a child, and suffered post traumatic stress after being in Iraq for 15 months, he has skipped all his shrink appointments and such and basically refuses to confront his issues. He frequently searches for hours on end for different items, and basically considers everything the family owns is his, and if you try to argue with that you get a big lengthy lecture which usually involves yelling, however if you yell abck his hippocrital self only slams you more.

Anyways, he can be really nice sometimes, but a horrid person other times, screaming at my mother because my little sister spilled a glass of water for example. He commonly impulse buys things, and seems to live in a false sense of financial security and whatnot.

Anyways, ever since I got the bike he has always had to be ontop of everything, when i first tightened my chain, i brought over a friend of mine who races 125 B class, as he was showing me my step-dad came down and yelled at us for not using the manual and then told us we were doing it all wrong, and tried to do it himself, almost ****ing up my axle.

The second instance was when it came time for my initial valve check after break-in, i did it myself with the guidance of a friend who builds v8 chevy engines and what not, valves were in spec, followed the manual and whatnot. My step-dad calls me a idiot for doing it myself, and takes it to the mechanic who charges me 160$, and i lose 5 days of riding.

Recently I had been doing a oil change and messed up the small drain plug, it had been wayyyy overtorqued, by guess who my step-dad and the threads were shit, i called him to tell him and immediantly he starts screaming at me about the whole thing, he then yells at my mom about having a irresponsible son?

recently i moved my bike and all my gear to my friend(125 :thumbsup: riders house, but that hasnt stopped him from being overly protective of it.

What can I do? Btw i am 15 years old, and I work 5 days a week in the summer to pay for the bike

Thats a toughy, just remember it can be hard for some people to face issues and go get professional help. When my parents got divorced I didnt want counseling but looking back on it I think it helped alot. I'm 15 also :thumbsup:

-peace out

well id tell him to shut the :thumbsup: up and stick the bike up his :ride: if possible

he may have some issues but if he dont wanna get help then thats his life

war is hell, make him get help

One idea might be to get the whole family and sit down together. Get the rest of the family to voice their desire for your step dad to see a counselor. Maybe once he sees that his whole family wants him to do it he will go for it. Also, you should sit down and have a CALM talk with your dad about your bike. I was 15 a VERY short time ago and I know how easy it can be to get angry at your parents. But if you get angry, you wont be able to make any ground. State how you really get offended when he thinks you are incapable of working on your own bike. Just lay it all out there.

You know all the things that need to be said. If you dont want to say it get your mom to tell him. You may not feel comfortable doing so, but this sounds like a situation where you need to be brutally honest and make sure he gets a good reality check. Once again, I am not saying to go into a screaming temper tantrum at him. Be calm and talk like you are both adults (because you are). Let us know how it goes.

p.s. make sure you start the conversation at a good time. (not at the end of the month when money is tight and it is time for the bills to get paid)

tell him if he wants to own the bike than you'll stop paying for it and you want your $1000 back by such and such a date. thats what id do.

Hmmmmm......

What Branch of service was he or is he in?

If it's Airforce, then well...ummm. Tell him to stop snibbling. :applause:

If it's Navy, then it's Salt Water damage and there's nothing you can do. :applause:

If it's Marines, then tell him this Joke "Why does the Navy have Marines on their ships? Because sheep are to obvious" :applause:

If it's Army, then when he comes out yelling, just tell him.....AT EASE TROOPAAA! :applause:

Seriously though, life is a :thumbsup: , and maybe you should try and catch him in a good mood, and just talk to him. Make him feel like he's needed. Say hey POPs could you show me something on my bike. The manual says this and that, but I don't understand (even if you do). People react in different ways to stress, and that's all it is, he doesn't really even know he's being an A$$ is my guess. If he does, then he's a :ride: .

It's hard to look at yourself, but easy to see others. Keep that in mind.

If that doesn't work, then keep on truckin and avoid doing things that you know may jerk at his chains. :applause:

I kinda have a similar problem not quite as bad as you got it but my dad wont let me do stuff like that either he either pushes me out of the way and I end up just getting him tools and standing around or getting board and watching TV so now I just started doing stuff on my own and not bringing him in on anything I need to do so I would just try and go around him for the mean time and tell him how you feel and until he accepts that you are gonna do your own maintenance and yea you might mess up but that is how you learn, then you will keep your bike over your friends house and wont let him be apart of working on your bike

how about you tell him to screw off and let you ride your damn bike, hes not your real dad anyway

Go buy a big Axe with about a 3 foot long handle and the next time your sister spills a glass of water and your step dad goes off tell him it's not a big deal. Throw the Axe threw the largest window in your home. when the glass stops shattering explain now thats a big deal.

^^^^^^^ good idea use the "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" way to stop it if he is gonna blow his lid over something small then give him something he can really blow his lid over

One things for certian, you better hope he doesn't read what you wrote about him. You just told the entire world his personal problems. (Millions upon millions of people own computers.) Let's just say if someone posted pesonal things about me on the internet, that person and I would have serious issues.

Good luck, and consider, it may not be all his fault.