Sign in to follow this  

Okay...Now, after the "Loosen up my buttons" thread . . .

So, I've been out about four times now on my new bike ( I posted about a month ago to get some help on deciding whether to get the ttr-125). I ended up getting it, but I got the smaller version, not the L. I absolutely love it. Its more fun than I even expected! I only get to ride it for a couple hours each weekend, as I have it out at my parents' house in the country. My husband and 15 month old daughter usually go down with me and don't last much longer than about 2 hours down there, so that is about all I get.

I started out just riding around the semi-flat yard, learning the clutch, brakes, gears, etc. I would start, stop, turn, stand. My dad usually comes out and watches me (I think he is afraid I'm going to crash like my husband did the day I bought the bike - see prior post "ttr-125 too much power"). Anyway he told me to go on over the hill (just keep it in 1st or 2nd so I don't go too fast). They live in northern ky, but they're out in the hills, so it can be pretty steep. The hill he was talking about goes right down to a pond. I was going to go down it, chickened out and turned before the steep part. I went around again and built up nerve and then went down. Boy it was FUN! I went down the hill, around the pond, on down another longer hill, then through a dry creek, up a steep hill them back up a large long hill, through a garden, up a little step hill (that I can see myself jumping in the future) up through the yard, over the gravel driveway, past the garage, through more yard and back over to down the hill, around the pond, etc. It was great!! I was having fun just puttering around the yard - I didn't know it could be even more fun!

Anyway, after reading all the posts from the "loosen up my buttons" thread, I thought "Hey, atleast my meaningless story is dirt bike related, I'm going to post it!"

So now, lets talk gear (I know I've seen posts on all these topics before, but what the heck, its better than a song lyric, right?). I got a pair of kids size 5 o'neal element boots off ebay. I know they're not the best, but they were only $35. I've put them on, they're hard to get on, but they fit (not too tight once I get them on) How do you break them in?? I've got a pair of fox pants on the way and a used pair of youth evs amx knee braces. I'm unsure of the knee braces. How do you know if they're too small? Will they just be unbareably too tight?

Get a pair of long socks also, keeps the knee guards from rubbing into the skin on the legs.

COOL!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

As far as knee braces....no, they should be rather comfortable, not anywhere close to unbearibly tight.

You don't really want to break in the boots too much. They are supposed to be rather stiff at the ankles.

What other gear do you have and what do you think you want to get next?

peace,

janette

So, I've been out about four times now on my new bike ( I posted about a month ago to get some help on deciding whether to get the ttr-125). I ended up getting it, but I got the smaller version, not the L. I absolutely love it. Its more fun than I even expected! I only get to ride it for a couple hours each weekend, as I have it out at my parents' house in the country. My husband and 15 month old daughter usually go down with me and don't last much longer than about 2 hours down there, so that is about all I get.

I started out just riding around the semi-flat yard, learning the clutch, brakes, gears, etc. I would start, stop, turn, stand. My dad usually comes out and watches me (I think he is afraid I'm going to crash like my husband did the day I bought the bike - see prior post "ttr-125 too much power"). Anyway he told me to go on over the hill (just keep it in 1st or 2nd so I don't go too fast). They live in northern ky, but they're out in the hills, so it can be pretty steep. The hill he was talking about goes right down to a pond. I was going to go down it, chickened out and turned before the steep part. I went around again and built up nerve and then went down. Boy it was FUN! I went down the hill, around the pond, on down another longer hill, then through a dry creek, up a steep hill them back up a large long hill, through a garden, up a little step hill (that I can see myself jumping in the future) up through the yard, over the gravel driveway, past the garage, through more yard and back over to down the hill, around the pond, etc. It was great!! I was having fun just puttering around the yard - I didn't know it could be even more fun!

Anyway, after reading all the posts from the "loosen up my buttons" thread, I thought "Hey, atleast my meaningless story is dirt bike related, I'm going to post it!"

So now, lets talk gear (I know I've seen posts on all these topics before, but what the heck, its better than a song lyric, right?). I got a pair of kids size 5 o'neal element boots off ebay. I know they're not the best, but they were only $35. I've put them on, they're hard to get on, but they fit (not too tight once I get them on) How do you break them in?? I've got a pair of fox pants on the way and a used pair of youth evs amx knee braces. I'm unsure of the knee braces. How do you know if they're too small? Will they just be unbareably too tight?

Lets put it this way. You want to continue in this sport, protect your body. Look at CTI, for your knees for your wrists. Good Luck!

Welcome to the world of dirtbiking! :ride: It is fun, and when you get out on the trails you will see just how much more fun it really is. Practice, practice, practice, ride, ride, ride - those words are the same here. In order to practice, you must ride and in order to ride, you must practice. So have fun. :thumbsup:

Look into some gear like elbow pads too. My elbows have some nice scars. When I was growing up, there was no such thing as elbow pads. But, scars have better stories than tattoo's! In my case - it's like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

How do you break them in??

wear them. they're pretty stiff at first, and make it hard to shift esp when you're not used to them, but if you put them on and walk around a little they'll loosen up enough to allow you move but still provide good protection. wear them for a day or 2 to do yardwork or something.

mw

wear them. they're pretty stiff at first, and make it hard to shift esp when you're not used to them, but if you put them on and walk around a little they'll loosen up enough to allow you move but still provide good protection. wear them for a day or 2 to do yardwork or something.

mw

A woman walking around doing yard work in MX boots might grab some unwanted attention :thumbsup:

Well, the Fox 180 girls pants are a little tight. The knee panel also hangs a little lower than it should. I was thinking about getting the next size up, but then will the knee panel be even lower?

I have a helmet, goggles and a pair of kids gloves I bought the day I bought the bike. I think I'm going to order a women's pair of gloves, though, as the kids are slightly small. I tried on the small adult (mens) gloves at the dealerhsip, but they were too big. How do the women's gloves fit? There is no place around here that carries any womens' gear, so I can't try anything on. I was looking at the fox women's gloves. My hands are pretty small, so I was thinking the small size, but then again, don't want to be in the same boat as with the pants.

I'd like to go ahead and get the jersey once I figure out if I'm going to just keep the tight pants or sell them back to an ebay user and find another pair. What brand of pants do you think fits the best? I went to a dealer the other day at lunch and there is a girl who works there who said she thinks the THor gear fits the best. She told me the fox stuff runs small, but that was of course after I had bought the pants off ebay.

I think I might need strap extenders for the knee braces, as the calf is too tight. Once I get the extenders, I think I might be okay with these knee braces. I guess my next purchase should be a chest protector?