Sign in to follow this  

wieght... huh? is this right

check this out

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/66/1133/0/compare.aspx

now look at the weight. the 07 wr250f with an aluminum frame weighs 233.7lbs while the 05 with a steal frame weighs 228. huh? that doesnt add up. could anyone explain.

btw i understand that those weights prolly arnt accurate but still the 07 is 5lbs heavier :thumbsup:

200th post WOOO HOOO :ride:

The answer I've gotten for this occurence has mostly to do with the bulk of the aluminum needed to equal the rigidity of a steel frame. However, the improved frame geometery and flex result in a better handling machine. If you go back in time some, according Motocross Action I think, the weight of a CR125 is equal to that of one 10 years ago. How a bike carries its weight is more important that how much it weighs. Also, like you said, it's not completely accurate so who knows?

Yamaha has been adding some weight in places to improve handling and feel. They beefed up the linkage and increased the shock shaft diameter in 06. They don't always tell you when they add weight. Sometimes while trying to trim weight to the max they may go too far comprimising reliability and have to add some back the next year.

The same is true of the YZ450. The '06 is within a pound of the same weight as an '05. Of, course, it feels 30 pounds lighter when you're riding it, and that is what really matters.