Sign in to follow this  

Baja Almanac + Baja Vets = help for me???

For those of you with a Baja Almanac. I'm looking at something on page 10 and hopefully one of you has ridden this section.

I've ridden the Observatory road all the way up to the main dirt road into Coyote but would love to be able to go up there without so much asphalt. I've been on the little stretch of single track from Sinaloa to Camalu and that is cool but what about the single track that shows on page 10 that starts from Observatory road just before the first bridge/creek crossing. It shows on the map at a slight kink about 4 miles in. It looks like there is a route that will go eastward toward Coyote and hook back up with a dirt road around a mine and Benito Juarez. Once on that road I think getting to Coyote and Mikes is pretty easy.

Am I making any sense? Hopefully someone can help with this route.

Thanks

First time i rode to Mikes--that was the main route in! In '72 they paved the road from Ojos to Valle T and then it was faster to go that way...but before then the road up San Telmo (observatory) to Buenavista and El Coyote was THE way in...well other than by airplane.

Anyway--to answer your question--YES that was is a good way to go.

We took that route on the first fundraiser ride and again last weekend!

HOWEVER--you have used the word 'single track' -- and its certainly not that.

The route you describe goes up 'sierra blanca' or 'white hill' --and its one of the most used baja race course sections. Right now its in good shape--but it gets chewed up in places when the pre-running and racing goes over it. Turn north at the curve in the road--there is a sign for 3 ranches-and you will hit a gate in about 3 miles....also--go LEFT just before the sign for "Buenavista" to follow the race course into Yote.

Heres some other stuff for ya:

1) SCORE has made some link-up routes east of Coyote and Meling that run into fun routes with lots of water crossings, linking the routes from Mikes to places like Las Cabras and Valladares (tasty pomegranites!).

2) There ARE single track(s) that goes from very near Rancho El Coyote west on both sides of the road you are talking about. Some of the guys at the ranch can show ya the way(s)--they ride!

3) The swimming pool at Coyote is now open!

4) If Theresa is working--tell her i said hello.

5) Quail hunting season starts at El Coyote Oct. 6th--and its booked up for a month or more already. Full mule, shotgun rental, room and board is $135.

Some day i wanna do a ride 'n hunt trip to the 'Yote.

6) Consider getting Lizard Lady GPS routes if you want more info...or join us on a ride thru that area sometime!

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. The almanac shows some single track that breaks off of the Obvservatory road, to the north, a few miles before San Telmo. They show as eventualy hooking up with roads but maybe the Almanac shows them as single track but infact they are wider. I guess the only way to find out it to locate them and figure it out.

I've been to Coyote twice now and have met a couple of the sons and Hovonita (if my memory serves me correctly on her name). Both times they were working on the filtertration system for the pool. They told me about the dove, quail and (I think) deer hunting, all guided by her sons.

Thanks again

I'm looking at page 10 and i see what ya mean. Never been on those little trails. Ya might hit some fences or gates. Exploring baja is awesome!

Hey Guys,

I've heard a lot of good things about the Almanac and wanted to ask if you have any suggestions on where to find it. I've tried the website and they appear to be out.

know of any secret stash?

I also wanted to ask about LB Maps. I've downloaded the non-topo version and it seems pretty detailed but I'm curious how dependable the dirt roads are. Some I've been able to verify on Google earth but others are harder to tell as Google earth doesn't have clean resolution for all of the peninsula.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

John

I guess some surf shops carry them. I'd start calling around to all the local SoCal surf shops and see. One thing I'm going to attempt to do is make clean photocopies of the pages that I tend to reference most and try to match them up, tape them together and laminate it. If I can find a way to do this and make it usable I'll make you one as well. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you know how it goes.

My actual book is starting to fall apart from use so I need to do something before I'm screwed.

This is what page 10 looks like. I circled the areas I was asking about above.

http://www.hollandforloans.com/pics/page%2010%20baja%20almanac.pdf

I just hope I can get clean enough of copies on the inside edges, this one got cut off. Hopefully I won't have to actually cut them out of the book.

Hey Guys,

I've heard a lot of good things about the Almanac and wanted to ask if you have any suggestions on where to find it. I've tried the website and they appear to be out.

know of any secret stash?

John

John, give Baja designs a call or check their website. I'm pretty sure that is where I got mine. Although if you are finding a direct website for the almanac and they are out, that might be a bad sign. Maybe they are updating! :thumbsup:

Got my Almanac over at Allied map services in Anaheim next to the Angle stadium.

FYI plenty of other maps have great baja info.

I have checked around and as far as I can find on the net they are out until about mid sept :thumbsup:

Try Amazon used books.

Might get you bye till the new ones come out??

Corky :ride::thumbsup::applause:

I see the Almanac occasionally in Baja.

Bookstores with toursit traffick sometimes carry them.

Keep your eyes open when down there.

Dont forget the excellant Lizard Lady GPS stuff-another great resource for baja exploring.

Also--google earth is really good for many places in Baja. I've found several little roads that i want to explore just by 'flying' accross the penninsula.

I see the Almanac occasionally in Baja.

Bookstores with toursit traffick sometimes carry them.

Keep your eyes open when down there.

Dont forget the excellant Lizard Lady GPS stuff-another great resource for baja exploring.

Also--google earth is really good for many places in Baja. I've found several little roads that i want to explore just by 'flying' accross the penninsula.

I went to the lizard lady website to look at their products. Do they sell actual maps or just GPS routes with a description book? The sample of the book I found read like a dualsport route book.

singletrack :applause:

Guys the single track you describe is actually a very old road that was the original trail from san telmo to the observatory via mike's and upstream towards rancho las truchas to end up by the forest ranger camp next to the observatory.

I have done such loop as recently as a 3 years ago, be prepared as its a AA enduro track that will take you over 3+ hours and lots of sweat but great satisfaction to ride and push and curse your way up the trail.

Make sure your bikes are topped off at Mike's, no gas at the observatory and be warned, bikes are illegal in the national park and signs are posted on the trail that warn such off road activity(even in such remote areas of the trail you will see "NO MOTOS" signs. :thumbsup: play stupid iif you get caught?

Start at Mike's and head upstream on the trail, you will cross the streeam twice. first crossing go left and uphill, seconfd crossing go right uphill by concrete house. area is recently burned so it looks like lunar landscape.

if you take the upstream trail that has been used in the 500 and 1000 recently, passing the last arroyo san rafael crossing you will hit the recently burned area where there is a concrete house, keep going up on this trail(still part of the baja track, once you reach the top, there is a fork on the trail(right takes you to "rancho coyote"owned by Melling)and other y takes you to rancho la joya, rancho concepcion owned also by Melling)

KEEP left and continue on single track that will get get very rocky. Momentum, standing up on pegs and lots of clutch will help. short riders(like me)suffer since you will dab to keep balance. You gain altitude from 4500 ft mikes to over 8200 ft in less than 15 miles. Once you reach pine forest area, trail smooths a little onlly to force you to ride thru rocky rutted out small waterfall trail that you have to ride it thru, you will see some red ribbons since Malcolm Smith takes all his buddies thru this loop to separate winers and wannabes from real tough hombres that can pickup a dollar bill with their buttock cheeks!

Keep going, you cant get lost on this trail, follow trail and if you think you are lost, trails to the right will fork to the observatory road that should be completely paved as we speak. left continues towards the final destinatioon, the forest ranger casmp next to the gate at the observatory.

Be prepared , carry compass, flashlight, water, tp and a jacket since believe me it will get very cold at altitude.

Remember no winers :ride:

Pepe

Pepe! Long time no see, how have you been?

I believe you are speaking of a different area than Brian is wondering about, BUT, with that said, the ride Pepe is speaking of is fantastic! A great time, especially when it's snowing.

We usually will stop when we reach the "no motos" signs, turn around and roost back down to Mikes.

Guys Be warned on this ride that if you are in Parque Nacional San Pedro Martir, they strictly prohibit bikes, so maybe go up the trail and turn around so you guys dont get in trouble

good to see you here Pepe...come back and ride bikes with the boys sometime soon.

rudy

Rudy im very desperate to ride, bad thing is now i am averaging maximum 2 rides a year! ................parenthood...................

Plan a killer ride that i can leave my wife with her parents in Ensenada and i will tag with you guys...

I hear this years 1000 they carved a trail from mission san javier to Loreto and i am anxious to go explorinnnnnnnn

Vamonossssssssssssss :thumbsup:

Talking of this trail brings back distant memories of what is probably the same trail. Back in 1981, I owned a Husky 420 AE (Atomatic Enduro). It was great for the woods and the Tecate 500 Enduro, but sucked in the open desert and dunes (Baja 1000 and SF 250).

Anyway, I was on a ride with Bill Halbert from Husky West in San Diego in March of that year. He took myself and two others up a back trail from Mikes heading east. It went up the stream bed and into the mountains. At one point, the trail had washed away and you had to push your bikes (or hand off as it is called) from one rider to the next to get by this impasse. It was about 5 feet long and 8" wide with a good washout/drop off to the west side. The trail was on the east side with a straight up wall and a big bush sticking out on the lft side of the trail head. That prevented you from riding it and you had to push the bikes up thru the narrow pass.

Once past there you road trails climbing higher. About half way up you encountered a rock bed that lay from one side of the road to the other for about a 1/4 mile. It was here the auto shined as everyone else was clutching and bouncing/slipping there way up thru these rocks on their 250s and 430s. No trail, just rocks for you to aim and fire over.

Once past there, you continued up the trail/road until reaching the top and a stand of Pine Trees. This was about 50-100' below where the Observatory was. We stopped there to take in the site of the desert, have a snack and then return to Mikes. A great ride then, but not one to do alone. Never saw a turn off trail to get to the Observatory road, but I'm sure exploring would have found one. Or maybe in 1981 it didn't exist yet. I haven't been back up that road since the summer of 83.

Thanks guys for bringing up good riding memories of Baja when bikes allowed you to put both feet flat on the ground. That was just 2 years after the great storm of 78 had washed away all the grass from below Mikes, making it a sand pit as it is now. But thats another story in its self.

Steny :thumbsup:

Well gentleman, it appears somewhere in the San Nic parking lot and/or restaurant there is my Baja Almanac floating around. Not sure exactly where it went astray but it is down there somewhere.

If you happen to be down there in the next few days could you ask whoever is at the guard booth if they happen to find it.

Thank you very much.