Sign in to follow this  

looking to buy a 4x4 vehicle

I having trouble coming up with a specific vehicle to look for. all I know is I want 4 wheel drive, good gas mileage, cheap, and ability to tow my bike around. I'd like to get a wrangler or cherokee, but they're hard to find in my price range.

just start throwing out names, I don't have a preference.

whats your price range? do you want a suv, xtrab, or single cab?

also do you want to lift it?? if so how big? you need to look at that as well to see if they make a good kit

How good of gas mileage do you need to get? Maybe a 1998 chevy silverado with the 350, or if that gas mileage is not good enough then a toyota tacoma with the 4cyl. I used to have one and regularly got 23 mpg, but it wasn't all that powerful. Could go anywhere, though.

my price range is from cheap to cheap, the cheaper the better. I could probably spend 7K, depending on if its worth it.

Doesn't matter if its an suv or a pickup. just no station wagons or minivans.:thumbsup:

so I'm leaving a wide range. just start naming everything out there where 4X4 is an option, and I will weed out the bad ones.

You could find a mid 90's Toyota (taco, 4runner, or Tundra) in your price range.

I just sold my v6 4runner 4x4 good to great condition for 5k to the dealer (would have got about 6K to private party).

you won't have a problem towing. I pulled a 4k plus lb. trailer over the sierras (65 mph) without a problem.

Good luck.

yes go with around a 1990 toyota 4x4. you can find them already lifted for what your looking at spending. the 4 runners are cool, just get the year that the rear top comes off.

yeah I would love to have one of those, but not too many around here, especially in my price range.

You should have no trouble at all finding an XJ Cherokee in your price range if you can spend up to 7K, you can find them as cheap as 1500 around here.

jeep grand cherokee is a nice rig for what you want. if u can get it with a v8 and put some lockers in it with a slight lift and tires you can go anywhere. they get decent gas and will be able to tow a bike around. or a jeep wrangler, the gas sucks but the best offin rig there is u can also tow the bike on the back of it. We got a cj7 and a cj5 and theres nothing better to go 4wheelin in.

73-87 GMC/Chevy. usually 3/4 ton. 1/2 tons have a 305 motor which is ok but i prefer a 350. those older trucks are bullet proof. and you can find them for cheap. we just bought a truck for my dad for a grand. solid. 4 1/2 lift too on 33s. body rot but o well

Old Chevy 305, 350s and Grand Cherokees DO NOT get good gas mileage. You don't need a V8 to tow one bike, or even two. Now, a Cherokee straight 6 4X4 has plenty of power for his application and does get decent gas mileage.

I having trouble coming up with a specific vehicle to look for. all I know is I want 4 wheel drive, good gas mileage, cheap, and ability to tow my bike around. I'd like to get a wrangler or cherokee, but they're hard to find in my price range.

just start throwing out names, I don't have a preference.

For a 6 cyclinder jeep straight 6's aren't too hot on gas, we own one.

BTW Bryan I love the Avatar. :thumbsup: Can I steal it? Just kidding

For a 6 cyclinder jeep straight 6's aren't too hot on gas, we own one.

BTW Bryan I love the Avatar. :thumbsup: Can I steal it? Just kidding

My 94 Cherokee Sport 4.0L FI, 4x4 AT gets around 19 mpg. Not the best, but not too bad for what it is. Granted, these things hold their value at a ridiculous rate though.

Look into S10's, Explorer's or even go the Toyota route.