RMZ reliability

i am considering purchasing a RMZ 450. either a 2006 or a 2007.

my question for those of you who have experience with them is this.

what has the reliability been like (valves)? what about any other issues you may have had? my purchase is either going to be a yzf or a rmz. i like the feel of both bikes but really like the 4 speed transmission of the rmz since i only ride tracks. any information you can give would be helpful.

?

I havent had mine all that long but have been racing for about ten years. I think the rmz handles better than any bike Ive ridden and the suspension is really good for me....i am a 180 lb intermediate rider. The four speed is perfect for motocross but absolutely sucks in the woods. I race hare scrambles a lot and absolutely cannot go a single lap without stalling it and believe me, its not fun stalling it up a giant hill. Ok you only ride MX though so your gonna like it. I doubt you would have any more problems out of it than a yamaha. I cant remember dirt rider or dirt bike magazine had it listed as a good dependable used bike to buy if your gonna buy used so im sure they think its probably more reliable than the others besides KTM which is supposed to be indestructible.

dude.. your in the suzuki forum, so people are going to be biased to the suzuki, and your going to have all the funny guys from other manufactors telling you bullshit.. i would ask this in the general forum if it was me.. personally i dont think any of these bikes are perfect, but they'll last and run as good as you take care and maintence them, my .02

• Like 1

i am considering purchasing a RMZ 450. either a 2006 or a 2007.

my question for those of you who have experience with them is this.

what has the reliability been like (valves)? what about any other issues you may have had? my purchase is either going to be a yzf or a rmz. i like the feel of both bikes but really like the 4 speed transmission of the rmz since i only ride tracks. any information you can give would be helpful.

?

2005 RMZ450

120HRS on the motor,original owner.I measured the valves at the 3hr mark,checked every 10 THEY HAVE NOT BUDGED,NOT EVEN A .001 The cam chain was a tad loose at the 3hr mark,I tightened it up,I checked the next 10hrs, and it was pretty loose.After I tightend my cam chain the 2nd time it held,and it is still the same. No mechanical problems at all. :ride:

One freind has a 2005 RMZ that has been trouble free and he loves it.

One freind has a 2006 RMZ that has many false neutrals and just blew the crank. He does not love it.

If you look hard enough you will find all bikes/brand have the occassional problem and sometimes it is major. In this day and age luck and maintenace routines have more effect that what color you buy.

~Einstein~

06 RMZ 450,I am having problems with the steering, I have an RG3 top triple clamp and there is still twisting in the forks or bottom clamp, still trying to figure it out ? worst stock triple clamps out in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 05 Rmz 450 as well. Every thing is stock and seriously trouble free. I admit, im a little bit on overkill concerning maintainance, but there is definately a connection between maintainance and repairs.Riding rather hard, and apart from maint. cost all I seem to be buying are back tyres.(wear and tare) .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a B rider (6' 4" and 215) and ride mostly desert in Arizona and some track (no racing)- considering between the Suzuki RMZ 450 and Yamaha YZ450. I've heard the 4-speed tranny in the RMZ is lacking in the desert, is this true? Why? Any other reliability concerns with the RMZ - I ride a Yammy WR now and it is super reliable but heavy.

Have had my 05/06 rmz450 for a year now. adjusted the cam chain 2ce only. never needed to adjust valves. pulls like a demon. had to adjust suspention untill it suited me. never looked back. took a while learning to turn bike fast on corners.just took getting used to. I stick to maint. schedule strictly. filter clean after any ride, and oil change after every 3 rd ride.

I'm a B rider (6' 4" and 215) and ride mostly desert in Arizona and some track (no racing)- considering between the Suzuki RMZ 450 and Yamaha YZ450. I've heard the 4-speed tranny in the RMZ is lacking in the desert, is this true? Why? Any other reliability concerns with the RMZ - I ride a Yammy WR now and it is super reliable but heavy.

i have heard that suzuki took the 5th gear out so if you are racing at high speeds, your gonna get smoked by 5 speeds. Not positive about that though just heresay.