Sign in to follow this  

CVK40 the way it is supposed to be!

My SM was parked for 3 weeks waiting for a Pilot Power tire to arrive, and I got it back on the road today. I'm at sea level, and my SM has a K&N filter, 3x3 mod, "E" model cams, and billet exhaust cap. Original thread was here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333381

My eBay CVK40 didn't seem to have the throttle response I wanted, and I tried many different needle clip settings and jets. I finally decided the slide diaphram repair it had must not be perfect, so I'd get a new one. I went to the new Harley dealer in Portsmouth, and suprisingly, they had the slide/diaphragm assembly, part number 27585-88 in stock for $51.

I drilled the vacuum port to 3/16", and realized I didn't have the hole that big on the old slide - it was the next smaller drill bit size. I also discovered the throttle cable bracket was bent (due to rotating the carb to change needle clip positions several times), and the throttle wasn't opening fully. I fixed this while I was in there, and adjusted the valves too while waiting forever for the tire to come in.

Put in a KH148 main jet, and the KLX650 needle jet (looked just like the KLR model, but since the part numbers were different I got it anyway). The slide spring has the top 2 coils cable tied off, and the needle is set to the 3rd clip.

Wow! This thing now has snappy throttle response! I went out to scrub in the tire, and just can't believe how responsive it is. I rode everywhere just snapping the throttle a quarter turn, and the bike just leaps ahead. I think the diaphram was my problem the whole time.

I've got an "E" exhaust coming soon. At least I hope it is an "E" exhaust, it was listed as a KLX400, but the seller didn't know if it was the dirt only model. I think it is, since it doesn't have the heat shield on the can. Here is a pic:

Exhaust.jpg

I'd like to retain my passenger pegs, since I put my feet back there on the highway. Is there anyway to do this using the complete "E" exhaust, or do I need to use the SM can?

This thing is much more aggressive at a quarter throttle snap, I may release the 2 slide spring coils I had wired tied to slow it down some :-)

Rode up to the mountains yesterday, and came back today, just under 1000 miles. (my seat has been redone by a friend and it is considerably wider and supportive).

Rode from sea level to 4000ft. Bike ran pretty well at 2800ft, but was obviously fat at 4000ft. Mileage was 45 mpg for most of the trip, high speeds, and full throttle when cooking it thru the mountain curves. The rear Pilot Power is very nice, and I plan on getting a front one when the 208 wears out.

Can't believe how the bike rips when I returned to sea level. Still might return the slide spring to stock, I'll make the decision after stop and go traffic this week.

Sounds like you are getting her sorted out :thumbsup: How about some updared pics for your garage?

I've got to get some pics of the seat, although it doesn't look as nice as yours! I like what you did with the TT Case saver too!

Garage pics updated! I have several seat pictures under the camera icon, click on them for bigger ones.

Tried the stock slide spring and lost quite a bit of that instant snappy response, so I cable tied 2 of the spring coils back together. I'll leave it that way for now. Bike is running super, but my mileage has dropped from 50 to 45 with the bigger main jet.