Sign in to follow this  

What tires are do you have?

Hi Guys,

As I am sitting in my hotel waiting to get home tomorrow, I was thinking that I need to buy some new tires for my next adventure ride on the DRZ.

I currently have the TW41/42 stock set up. I have signed up for the Big Woods 200 in WI and I think a tire with some bite would make the ride a bit easier. It is lots of trail, sand, gravel roads, sand, tight woods, mud, stumps, roots, sand and rocks. My ideas include the D606, MT21, Kenda K777/K778 or Trackmaster II, Michelin Baja or Maxxis DualMaxx. If you have used any of the above tires or have any others to consider, please reply. Thanks for any info.

FB

I really like my 606's. They have done good both on the road and off. Cheers

I have run 2 sets of D606's and just put on a pair of MT21/trackmaster II. Night and day difference off road. The MT21/trackmaster II combo is much more stable and agressive off road. The bike now goes where I point it, soaks up the rocks and bumps easier, and gives me much more control and confidance. It is a totally different bike. Don't think I would have had a lot of my crashes if I had had those on instead of the 606's.

On road the 606's are a bit more stable and solid, but not a major difference. Don't know about the difference in wear as I only have a few hundred miles on the MT21/trackmaster II combo. But for the difference in handling, even if they don't wear as well I will use them again unless I was only going to do easy dirt road stuff and highway - then I might use the 606's or try the TKC 80's.

The front Trackmaster is pretty squirly, the rears are great.

Kendas work very well on the road and rocks and roots but are not too good in mud or sand.

The Maxxis are junk.

Goebs is right!

You said "adventure ride" not MX, enduro or one specialized topic like "woods".

The Teraflex II can do it all, even desert. They wear in double or triple the time compared to other tyres. However, because part of the trick is simply putting double the rubber on, it is 40% heavier to start with.

After the tyre wears, the weight will be normalized towards the weight of a "normal" tyre.

An advantage is that you can drive it at 0 PSI without worrying (even the Chinese version). Yes, that's when you have a leak, it will stay on and support your weight with moderate speeds (no, not a 0 PSI, 105 miles per hr and rocky environment!)

Disadvantage is with the big knobs at gravel. Stay off the gas there :thumbsup:

I have siped the tyre twice for riding in cold and wet weather. There is so mutch flesh that during the life time of one tyre you can do this twice or triple.

Noppy

I would be partial to the MT21 trak master combo. Trakmaster not good in mud? A hard day in the rocks is hard on them though but no more so than any other.

Terraflex seems to get good reviews, one of these days I'll try one. I like the Kenda though

I will be at the BigWoods 200 as well. Lots of people rave about the Terraflex - but for me it is way too heavy and messes with your handling and rear suspension. If you are going in a straight line, hill climbing or through muck - it would be great. Only my opinion and impressions having ridden a bike with one.

I run Dunlop Desert 739's - I know not DOT. I run about 90% off road. They last for me since I am easy on the throttle on road - most of the time. Never an issue with the law. Use your dremel to change the "not for hiway use" to "for hiway use" :thumbsup:

I am on my second trackmaster in the rear. I didn't like the fron much, so I put on a Kenda Millville. I like the Millville on the trail and it is actually really good on the road so far, we'll see how well it wears.

I have run 2 sets of D606's and just put on a pair of MT21/trackmaster II. Night and day difference off road. The MT21/trackmaster II combo is much more stable and agressive off road. The bike now goes where I point it, soaks up the rocks and bumps easier, and gives me much more control and confidance. It is a totally different bike. Don't think I would have had a lot of my crashes if I had had those on instead of the 606's.

On road the 606's are a bit more stable and solid, but not a major difference. Don't know about the difference in wear as I only have a few hundred miles on the MT21/trackmaster II combo. But for the difference in handling, even if they don't wear as well I will use them again unless I was only going to do easy dirt road stuff and highway - then I might use the 606's or try the TKC 80's.

Did you put the M21 on the front & trackmaster II on the rear? Also, size are you running up front 90/90-21 or 80/90-21?