Sign in to follow this  

Too much maintnance?

I recently posted in the crf250 forum that i was gonna take on the job of checking and adjusting my 04 crf's valves (titled Valve adjustment). Well when i went to tackle the job earlier today, my dad comes into my garage asking what i'm doin. I told him, and he went crazy. He told me that i am nerotic about maintance and that my bike doesn't need anything done to it. This is also the case when ever i have to change my oil or even clean my airfilter. To do such tasks i have to do them when my dads not home or else he'll give me problems. Now i already am only able to change my oil every 5 to 6 rides which is way to long to wait for my bike, and the last time i got my valves checked was last winter. I'm not mechanicaly skilled but i know that the only way i can keep my bike runnin is to perform regular maintnance, but my dad seems to believe that my bike is just like the old reliable xr's he use to ride. I love my dad dearly, but he is makin it hard for me to keep my bike runnin. I just fell like ridin it till somting goes in the engine and then saying, "I told you so," to my dad. I already have a plan to get an 08 450 come next year, and even if my bike breaks i'm pretty sure my dad could help me cover some of the repairs. But what he doesn't seem to understand is that like any modern 4-stroke motocross bike, my bike needs maintance. He thinks i'm crazy, what should i do to convince him once and for all that i need to do maintance to keep my bike runnin?

Ps. I also work to buy all the stuff i need to maintain my bike.

Wow, you seem like a dream kid. Most kids just want to ride and leave the maintenence to dear ol dad. Keep up the approach and you'll learn so much. Good job on checking the valves...especially without your dad's help.

Maybe you could print off some of the threads describing 4 stroke maintenence. Or even sit down w/ him and visit TT. I don't know his personality but try and make it a fun activity...not a "I told you so, DAD!" deal.

Sounds like you're the mature one! I hope my kids want to wrench like you...

Give him the shop manuel and tell him to read it and it's the reason why your doing so much maintence, because that is what you read. Or take him to where ever you ride and introduce him to riders his age or fathers of your fellow riders that do the maintnence on your buddys rides.

Give him the shop manuel and tell him to read it and it's the reason why your doing so much maintence, because that is what you read. Or take him to where ever you ride and introduce him to riders his age or fathers of your fellow riders that do the maintnence on your buddys rides.

That would be a very good idea ^^^^^ Just make sure you are not rubbing it in his face. Btw, why is he getting mad at you for doing "too much maintenance" when he doesnt even have to pay for it?? That is completely ridiculous!

Good idea to show him those points in the shop manual. And emphasize that these are mod3ern high RPM race bikes that need oild changed and Valve checked regurly as part of the normal maintenance.

Have him post his concerns here maybe so we can talk to him?

One time while my dad was at work i took my bike apart, and when he got home and saw it he flipped on me! I hate it how he thinks i know nothing about anything...he always expects me to ruin something! Anyways i enjoy maintaining my bike, but my dad always gets mad when i do it :thumbsup:

One time while my dad was at work i took my bike apart, and when he got home and saw it he flipped on me! I hate it how he thinks i know nothing about anything...he always expects me to ruin something! Anyways i enjoy maintaining my bike, but my dad always gets mad when i do it :thumbsup:

Can you pull that reverse psychology thing: where you sqay - "Sorry dad trhat you getr so upset. ButI LOVE this stiuff and I think I am better at it than you give me credit for. Maybe we can learn and work together?!!?"

You know, soften him up,play into his he's better than you schtick.

One time while my dad was at work i took my bike apart, and when he got home and saw it he flipped on me! I hate it how he thinks i know nothing about anything...he always expects me to ruin something! Anyways i enjoy maintaining my bike, but my dad always gets mad when i do it :ride:
I thought I was the only one. when i first got my bike my dad got mad at me for adjusting the clutch lever :thumbsup::applause: .

I thought I was the only one. when i first got my bike my dad got mad at me for adjusting the clutch lever :thumbsup::ride: .

Then I really think finding a way to not argue with him and see if he can get involved in a project together iskey at first. Pretend to let him show you how its done.

I have shown him what the manual say's and his only response is, well since u don't race (Parents won't let me, but plan to when i get a car) then i guess the procedures don't have to be done so often. But i ride often and i ride my bike hard. He still pictures me as the small chuby kid strollin around the yard on an xr80. It gets me mad thinking and worrying about my bike grenading cause my dad thought it was silly for me to check the valves, and i'm definatley with you Paulsen, my dad thinks i have no place or enough knowledge tightening the chain. He payed for most of the bike for me and i can understand him wanting me not to damage "our" investment. But hes really killing it himself without knowing. When i need oil and and other stuff, and need a ride he won't take me, even though its my money. He tells me its silly and that my bike works fine.

Oh and i'm not exactly the most mechanicaly inclined to give any advice, thanks anyways, but i'm sure driven to make sure i don't have to walk my bike back to my dads truck and say "i told you so".

I recently posted in the crf250 forum that i was gonna take on the job of checking and adjusting my 04 crf's valves (titled Valve adjustment). Well when i went to tackle the job earlier today, my dad comes into my garage asking what i'm doin. I told him, and he went crazy. He told me that i am nerotic about maintance and that my bike doesn't need anything done to it. This is also the case when ever i have to change my oil or even clean my airfilter. To do such tasks i have to do them when my dads not home or else he'll give me problems. Now i already am only able to change my oil every 5 to 6 rides which is way to long to wait for my bike, and the last time i got my valves checked was last winter. I'm not mechanicaly skilled but i know that the only way i can keep my bike runnin is to perform regular maintnance, but my dad seems to believe that my bike is just like the old reliable xr's he use to ride. I love my dad dearly, but he is makin it hard for me to keep my bike runnin. I just fell like ridin it till somting goes in the engine and then saying, "I told you so," to my dad. I already have a plan to get an 08 450 come next year, and even if my bike breaks i'm pretty sure my dad could help me cover some of the repairs. But what he doesn't seem to understand is that like any modern 4-stroke motocross bike, my bike needs maintance. He thinks i'm crazy, what should i do to convince him once and for all that i need to do maintance to keep my bike runnin?

Ps. I also work to buy all the stuff i need to maintain my bike.

Just remind him that there are a lot worse things that you could be investing your time in. Keep up the hands on work and pass the knowledge of wrenching onto your kids. :thumbsup:

haha my dad used to worry if i took the wheels off or something. (dont fix it if it aint broken). now i tell him im doing the top end and he goes, why do u gotta mess with it. i said $300 now or BOOM $3000 later. he said "OH"