Sign in to follow this  

Changing sprockets question? DRZ-400s

I have an 01 DRZ-400s and I am going to go from the 15/44 to 14/47 and I was wondering if I need to get a different chain. My bike is all stock at the moment and has about 1300 miles on it with the original chain. Would it be best to order a new chain and put it on with the new sprockets or does it matter. My chain is still in good condition. If I should get a new one what size should I get.

Any info would be appreciated. This is all new to me. Thanks again!

Length wise your current chain should be fine. However you need to check and see that it hasn't stretched and/or developed binds.

The stock chain length is perfect for 14/47. It gives you alot more adjustment life out of your chain.

I did the same as you, and went from a 15/44 setup, to a 14/47. No issues. Go ahead and use the chain you have.

:thumbsup:

Like the other posters said, the stock chain is perfect for 14-47(that's what comes on the 'E' model from factory already).

I switched to 14-47 for several months to help me in the tight/gnarly stuff but recently retried 15-44 offroad. I'm a bit faster than I was in the spring and found I can manage pretty good offroad with the stock gearing, and have better gearing for the highway now.

BJ

Jt sprockets 14 / 47 works fine on drz400s.

but now I use 15 / 47, it is a little longer and suitable for my riding style.

With the 14 / 47 I need to deal with the gear a lot!