Sign in to follow this  

Dealer Service Report

Took my 01 E into the suzuki dealer to have the valves re-shimmed. On the service report they said the engine sounded noisey and may need new piston and rings. &%$#@!. It also said that it just be due to the bash plate reflecting the engine noise. The bike has done 10000klms and I have done the last 2000 and have not noticed any change in engine noise ,loss of power, oil consumption, or reliability. Are these guys trying to put one over me or should I investigate further.

Yes these engines are noisy, period. Some comes from the piston, but because it has a very short skirt. Skid plates do make the engine sound different in most cases that is true.

I wouldn't think you'd need a new piston/rings yet but really can't tell unless you pull the head/cylinder off to check and then you should replace them anyway. :thumbsup:

Ride it until you notice a problem. Did they re-shim any of the valves? You may want to invest in a manual cam chain adjuster if it does not already have one.

They reshimmed one intake which I found under spec. I also asked them to do the two exhaust valves which I measured as .21mm but they measure .25mm so they left them. I only have a cheap set of feeler gauges but I would not have thought they would be that far out.

If the rings were gone wouldn't I see some oil consumption?

i hate stealerships.

the only time ive used a dealer was at Chevy to replace the tranny in the Z06. at only 15k miles. didnt wanna pay for that one. hehe. :thumbsup:

Took my 01 E into the suzuki dealer to have the valves re-shimmed. On the service report they said the engine sounded noisey and may need new piston and rings. &%$#@!. It also said that it just be due to the bash plate reflecting the engine noise. The bike has done 10000klms and I have done the last 2000 and have not noticed any change in engine noise ,loss of power, oil consumption, or reliability. Are these guys trying to put one over me or should I investigate further.

Check compression as that is a tell-tale test about ring/cylinder condition.

compression is not the tell tale on anything with auto decomp.a leak down tester is the indicator of ring seal.

the piston can still be worn and the rings still have good seal.

compression is not the tell tale on anything with auto decomp.a leak down tester is the indicator of ring seal.

the piston can still be worn and the rings still have good seal.

OK, I'm sure you are right. I only have experience with manual compression release.

What are the steps to check compression and leakge? My compression gauge useless on this engine?

Thanks

OK, I'm sure you are right. I only have experience with manual compression release.

What are the steps to check compression and leakge? My compression gauge useless on this engine?

Thanks

a compression gage on any motor with a auto decomp device is useless. The DRZ included. At its best, the compression gage only gives you an overall idea of how well the motor makes compression. The Leak down tester is a much better diagnostic tool. And will give you quantitative results. As well helping to pinpoint where compression is leaking from the motor.

Went back to the dealer today to discuss problem. There is a bit of a rattle in the engine at idle(not constant just every 2-3 seconds). I queried the issue about the rings since the oil consumption was normal and like Eddie he confirmed that the piston can wear and the rings be Ok. Anyway they have told me to keep riding it and just keep an eye on it.