Another one of my poor man's ideas

Since I don't have the cash to go spending on one of those nice acerbis DHH lighting kits, me and my empty wallet started thinking. what we came up with was possibly wiring and mounting a fog light (LED maybe?) meant for a truck to go perhaps behind the nuber plate or on the fender at the base of the number plate. Do you think it would last the constant shaking? Now this wouldn't be for any night riding, just for when it doesn't seem to be dark in the open, but is like midnight in the woods. Has anyone else thought of this or done this or has a comment?

I've never done it before, but I'd rather make something somebody else doesn't have. Just mount the light to a sturdy place and give it a go. ?

You could also find some other front number plate that would work and cut a hole in it to help mount it.

If it's LED it will take a beating much better than anything else. It might look kinda cool mounted like Brennan suggested. You will need a voltage regulator too.

You could do what I did.... Go to a motorcycle junkyard and find a nice dirt bike headlight that just has rubber straps, so its pretty much universal. Take the light, the voltage regulator, and the tail light if you want it. You can get stuff really cheap that way.

mount it on the fender. get it as close to the # plate as u can. i did this a month or two ago..worked great..just used like a truck/jeep light (about 4" x 6") and mounted it to the fender real close to the # plate....that plastic up their is almost a 1/4 inch thinck beleive it or not so its more the sturdy to hold a light. but yea it works awesome but i never used it!!!..haha so i took it off...and i jsut wired it directily to the battery terminals and put a switch in their.

Aha now that is why I'm glad the Aussie version (which I have) comes with a stock, powerful enough headlight...I don't see why Honda don't make it standard on all CRF230's...

Anyway just thought I'd mention that my friend went to a wreckers and bought an old XR250 light to attach to his XR200 and it worked fine after a few minor mods...definitely the easiest way to go

I'm thinking that if you put a little shelf on your helmet... got a candle and then put a magnifying glass in front of it - sorta like the old miners in the coal mines. Then carry a canary with you just in case you're jetted rich and then... oh well. Never mind. Giving away my secret factory tips!

Just kidding...

Mike

Grab one from XR off of ebay and buy some stator wire. Did it on a Z50 that I had. Worked great. I got the light and number plate assy for around $30 shipped.

I shouldn't need to rewind my stator, I'm gonna use the battery. Then again maybe the OEM lights need a staotor rewind I can't remember.

Here's what mine looks like

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=18780

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=18782

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=18781

I just used a high intensity 35 watt driving light, then popped a LED tailight on the rear fender.

That looks a lot better than what I was planning on doing. Did you have to make any of the mounts for the front yourself?

I shouldn't need to rewind my stator, I'm gonna use the battery. Then again maybe the OEM lights need a staotor rewind I can't remember.

All you need is MORE wire. You need the extra winding to make sure your not draining your battery.

That looks a lot better than what I was planning on doing. Did you have to make any of the mounts for the front yourself?

The only thing I really made myself was the angle iron on rear to mount the tail light. Then I used a flat piece of iron to go on my handle bar mount bolts. It's adjustable so I can move it from side to side if needed.

This is "kinda" on topic... let me tell you how cool my girlfriend is.

We're out at the track the other night riding and it starts to get dark. So as she and I and my buddy are loading up our bikes she gets the big LIGHTBULB OVER THE HEAD look in her eyes like she had the best idea ever...

She goes:

"Let's buy some pitbikes and put lights on them! We can come out here after dark and have a blast!"

Hahahaha How cool is that?

Mike

"mount it on the fender. get it as close to the # plate as u can. i did this a month or two ago..worked great..just used like a truck/jeep light (about 4" x 6") and mounted it to the fender real close to the # plate....that plastic up their is almost a 1/4 inch thinck beleive it or not so its more the sturdy to hold a light. but yea it works awesome but i never used it!!!..haha so i took it off...and i jsut wired it directily to the battery terminals and put a switch in their."

you did? thanks for letting me know buddy.