Sign in to follow this  

What should I buy, Unabikers or Roosters?

I'm looking to buy rad. braces/guards. I have it narrowed down to Unabikers or Rooster. Please respond with pros and cons to each. I know the Roosters are powder coated red or grey. Unabikers can be bought anodized. I'm not sure if I should be interested in the front protection that the Unabikers provide. Some have said this causes heat issues. The Roosters use support rods that take the brunt of a side impact crash and use the stock plastic fins that direct air into the radiators. Yes, I've searched this topic, but looking for that final push to seal the deal. What about fit, and quality. Installation, I hear, can be challenging for both mfrs.

Thanks, I've read that thread. I replied to it, but couldn't get any responses. Only one person in that thread speaks highly about Roosters, arnie. He owned a pir of Unabikers and then bought the Roosters. I was really hoping to hear from the Rooster owners. Where are the Rooster owners?

If I had bought Roosters, my radiators would have had many hole's blasted through them by tree and bush branches.

I think the Unibikers are way overrated.

Flatland Racing makes the best Radiator guards on the market, Best design, made of a thicker stock, and they cost less than the rest.

After smashing my radiator on my 3rd ride with the works braces on. I bought the Unibikers and like them so far. I'd put as much protection as you can on those suckers. I tipped over pretty much stopped on a steep hill and a rock dialed in right on my rad. Not a bad wreck but cost a new rad.

My bike was the one Kelly Anson (formerly of Rooster) used to design the Rooster Guards. I can't tell you much about installation, because I didn't do it. I have had mine installed longer than anyone else though. I have had a couple hard impacts on my left side. The first one didn't do any damage to the brace, just the shroud. The second had more forward to back force and the brace crumpled slightly. I was able to remove my radiator and twist it back straight. I flattened the brace back out and it's been fine since. Personally I think the rad guards are okay. The skid plate made by Rooster however is the bomb. And their disc guards are massively strong.

As for poking sticks through the radiator. I mainly ride in the coast range of Oregon, where the vegetation is as thick as your going to find anywhere in the US. I haven't had a problem.

I've never used the Unibiker guards, or even seen them on any bike.

Thanks for the info. Keep it comin. Unabikers seem very popular around here. If Unabikers or Flatlands do not restrict airflow, then I would probably go with Unabikers, just do to popularity and positive feedback about them.

flatlander is stronger that unablikers....unabikers come in colors......I got the flatlanders and they are real tough!!!

flatlander is stronger that unablikers

No they aren't, that's subjective at best.

Unabikers come in colors

Yes, they do ! Doug

I have used Devol (sucked) and thought they were decent, then after the bent, I went with Flatlands. They held up mighty well and survived all but one get off, and that is when I went with Unabikers. So far soo good. They survived my cliff experience much better than my shoulder did. I still haven't thoroughly tested the Unabikers yet :thumbsup:

I have the unabikers. The install was a little rough... but my radiators were previously tweaked so it was not neccesarily a problem with the product. My bike does seem to run a touch hotter. I am intending to modify my air-flow plastics to fit over the unabikers. I have heard that it helps.

You are the guy who should be the moderator over here you evil swine !

Now, be a team player like you usually are, and post a picture showing us the neat way the Flatlanders are all set up to accept the little plastic thingies. :thumbsup: Doug

I read somewhere else, not my idea, that the plastic thingies are there to block rocks etc. Car radiators dont have plastic thingies to direct air. If I was a radiator I would thing the coolest thing would be to have nothing in front of me. Obviously the Unis and the Flatlands will block rocks, restrict air slightly, and hopefully minimally. Thanks guys.

I was in the same boat as you, and decided on the Roosters. I was able to still use the white air deflectors with just a little dremel work and some zip ties. I installed them on my buddies bike also. Many wonderful crashes, but no radiator damage. :thumbsup: