Sign in to follow this  

Question for the thumpettes...

If we had a couple of volunteers set up a couple of threads for basic maintenance tasks, such as: how to clean an air filter; how to change oil; how to change a lever; and maybe how to tighten your chain; with step by step instructions and maybe even pics, 1. do you think you'd be able to use this information better here in the thumpette forum (vs. searching for it in the other forums)? and 2. think it would be used at all?

I'm not trying to stereotype, but lots of women are newbie mechanics as well as riders, such that the 'basics' can be intimidating... and I'm sure we could find some volunteers in the forum to put some of that together!

Feedback?

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause: I think it's a great idea. espcially for new thumpettes that feel a little more comfortable asking another thumpette :applause: :applause: :applause:

:thumbsup::ride::applause::applause: I think it's a great idea. espcially for new thumpettes that feel a little more comfortable asking another thumpette :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ditto That !!! :applause::applause::applause:

I don't think it's stereo typing at all. I have had a nice sideline business for several years doing BASIC maintenence on people's bikes. A-hem.....guy's bikes. :ride:

Either they don't want to mess with it.....or more often then not....they do not have the ability to change oil, etc.

One bike I did last summer was funny. Not funny, but ya know. The guy had a *little* knowledge.....so when the bike didn't run so well....he cleaned the air filter. Foam air filter. Cleaned it up real good, then put it back in the bike.

Problem was....he didn't oil it. So.....the filter was sucking dirt particles directly into the carb and just DESTROYED the carb slide (and who knows what else). Since it stuck real bad......metal does that when it gets burrs on it.....he decided to grease up the throttle and throttle cable.

Not lube.....GREASE.

He keeps saying the bike doesn't run. The shift pattern is backwards. So.....he keeps trying to take off on a little 80 in 6th gear......then fusses that it doesn't run right. Um, yeah.....an 80 with a full grown guy on it won't take off well in 6th gear. :thumbsup:

Anyway.....I think it's a cool idea.

Is there such a thing in the technical forums?

peace,

janette

heck yea it would be used!! ive got my boyfriend to help with most my stuff, but wouldnt it be cool to come home and "show him a little somethin i learned today"

Would it be like maintenance for DUMMIES?

Cause I might not even know what tool I'm supposed to be looking for...

Well, I'm not THAT bad but ya never know. I DO know your supposed to oil the air filter, just cause I've had to clean out the washing machine several times after it's gotten cleaned! :thumbsup:

I don't think it's stereo typing at all. I have had a nice sideline business for several years doing BASIC maintenence on people's bikes. A-hem.....guy's bikes. :applause:

Either they don't want to mess with it.....or more often then not....they do not have the ability to change oil, etc.

One bike I did last summer was funny. Not funny, but ya know. The guy had a *little* knowledge.....so when the bike didn't run so well....he cleaned the air filter. Foam air filter. Cleaned it up real good, then put it back in the bike.

Problem was....he didn't oil it. So.....the filter was sucking dirt particles directly into the carb and just DESTROYED the carb slide (and who knows what else). Since it stuck real bad......metal does that when it gets burrs on it.....he decided to grease up the throttle and throttle cable.

Not lube.....GREASE.

He keeps saying the bike doesn't run. The shift pattern is backwards. So.....he keeps trying to take off on a little 80 in 6th gear......then fusses that it doesn't run right. Um, yeah.....an 80 with a full grown guy on it won't take off well in 6th gear. :thumbsup:

:ride: We all have to learn sometime! :applause:

Anyway.....I think it's a cool idea.

Is there such a thing in the technical forums?

peace,

janette

There is a lot of stuff in the tech forums, but I'd consider a lot of it more advanced, for people who have a good working knowledge of tools, and experience doing things by themselves.

Yeah, I'm thinking 'Basic Motorcycle Maintanence for Dummies'! I actually imagine we'd get a lot of male lurkers, too.

Ok, here's the deal, go ahead and post any threads with very basic maintenance instructions you think the thumpettes can benefit from, pm me & I'll sticky them. And maybe close them as well, so they don't get 'messy' (if anyone has any questions, they can start a new thread, I suppose!)

However, as we get them, we'll be reviewing them for possible inclusion in the 'Technical Articles' forum, and if it looks like it might also benefit the TT population as a whole, we may move it into that forum, with a link stickied in the thumpette forum so all the thumpettes can find it!

So, next time you change your oil, clean your filter, etc, take some pics, write some instrustions, and post up! :thumbsup:

I think the only guidelines are: include pics, include tool descriptions, and keep it as 'basic' as possible!

:ride: