Sign in to follow this  

Wich bike for east coast enduros

Im racing enduros in some terrain similar to the east coast,,, i used to ride a Gas Gas EC 2 stroke,,, but i sold it last week so i need an advice on wich bike will be better for me for some gnarly single track and some enduro racing,,, considering my budget and the bikes for sale around, im thinking about the next options:

02 CRF450

02 KTM 400 EXC

03 KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke

By the way im 6'' 1' 180 lbs and i am a novice rider,,, with 5 years riding,,, and 1 racing

Thanks for the help

I'm 6'2" at 210 and have a 03' RM250. I weighted the flywheel and geared it down a little bit. I put some hand guards on it and now I have a fantastic woods weapon!

Stick with a two smoker if you want something easy to maintain but if you want a good torque monster, get a four stroke.

Hope this helps.

Jay

I'm 6'2" at 210 and have a 03' RM250. I weighted the flywheel and geared it down a little bit. I put some hand guards on it and now I have a fantastic woods weapon!

Stick with a two smoker if you want something easy to maintain but if you want a good torque monster, get a four stroke.

Hope this helps.

Jay

First thanx a lot for the reply,,, i used to race on motocross bikes,,, but now i think the enduro bikes are better for this typ of terrain because of the transmision,,, im leaning towards the 2 stroke for the lighter feel,,, but i feel more confortable turning in a 4 stroke i dont know why,,, maybe i just need to get used to the ''hit'' of the 2 stroke . . .

I would the advice of the first person in this thread. I bought an 06 YZ 250 yesterday for off-road racing. I love the snap of a two stroke but the torque of a four stroke. I bought a 450 last year and sold it so I could get this bike. This is the way that I saw it. the 250 is lighter than the 450. It will go roughly just as fast. There are no valves. This was a huge advantage to me. The cost for a pipe on the 250 is like 300 bucks. 450 is around 800. Top-end is 80 bucks on the 250. 500+ for the 450. These are just cost for the parts. If someone charges you labors then the prices could almost double. Also consider the base price of each model. A 450 mspr is around 7 grand. 250 MSRP is 6 grand. I got my 250 for 5400 out the door yesterday. When you go down in a race, the 250 will start with one easy kick. The 450 usually will not. Unlike MX and SX, many of the top GNCC and WORCS guys are on two strokes still. The four stroke is a great bike, but a 200 cc+ two stroke is a VERY competitive bike still.

Im racing enduros in some terrain similar to the east coast,,, i used to ride a Gas Gas EC 2 stroke,,, but i sold it last week so i need an advice on wich bike will be better for me for some gnarly single track and some enduro racing,,, considering my budget and the bikes for sale around, im thinking about the next options:

02 CRF450

02 KTM 400 EXC

03 KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke

By the way im 6'' 1' 180 lbs and i am a novice rider,,, with 5 years riding,,, and 1 racing

Thanks for the help

I would say the KTM 400 for power.......

BUT For endurance and the ability to whip the bike through the woods I would say the KTM 200 EXC for sure! HANDS DOWN

As long as the suspension is set up for you (180 lbs.) then you will have plenty of power. Don't believe the "underpower" hype.

I race a 250F in the woods, I'm 175 lbs., and I really think a 2-Stroke is better for Enduro and Woods racing, due to "Engine Braking" which will turn into "Finger Breaking" from pulling in the clutch all of the time to keep the sucker from stalling out, while you are weaving in and out of tight spots.

Go with the smaller 2 Stroke KTM and add a flywheel weight. This will allow you to idle the bike (while maintaining speed) in between tight spots without getting on the brakes or the clutch too much. :thumbsup: