Sign in to follow this  

Our generator crapped out on us

My parents went to a Jimmy Buffet concert last weekend and managed to kill our generator. They were running the A/C in our camper when it died. Now I researched this before we baught the generator and I read that 13,500 BTU A/C's use 2800 watts on start up and then back down to 1700 watts. Now obviously our YG2800i can't handle it because it's dead. Now my parents were drinking, so they probably wouldn't have noticed if the overload light was on. Also my aunt was trashed (so I hear) and doesn't camp, so she may have tried to use the microwave. I dont really know the whole story I just know my generator is dead! :ride: Also this is the 1st time we've tried running our A/C with it. But anyway, I just wanted to rant and maybe someone could tell me what may be wrong with it? Also, is it going to be worth fixing (we only paid $800 for it) or should we part it out or somin and buy a new, bigger generator.

Thanks for the help everyone! :thumbsup:

Could you define "dead" better?

Does the generator engine start and simply has no output, or does it not even even run at all, or some other form of deadness.

Even if overloaded, most generators have a circuit breaker that should trip when overloaded. It might be as simple as resetting that.

fuel?

I take it this is one of those stand alone units and not a built in like an Onan on a toy hauler -

I would seriously doubt that overloading it would be a reason for it not running. That is what circuit breakers and fuses are for.

Check all fuses/reset switches

Inspect the air filter (maybe try starter fluid)

spark plug....

I would troubleshoot this like a regular engine - if it starts but has no power output, then troubleshoot it like an electrical pannel. :thumbsup:

Ok it's up at our garage in Michigan so there's not much I can do. My dad thought he fried the motherboard? It has a fuel gauge so I doubt its out of fuel.

Well we wanted quiet, affordable, portable, and quality. The Yamaha seemed to fit that bill as Yamaha products are top notch. Couldn't beat the $800 price tag either. :thumbsup:

yeah the onan is very quiet but very spendy. not sure if they make them portable though

I went to their website, they had portables. No idea on price though. Our generator had a dent in the gas tank thats how we got it so cheap.

yeah the onan is very quiet but very spendy. not sure if they make them portable though
The quiet Onans are "4 pole" wihich means they run at 1800 rpm instead of the std 3600 associated with the most popular 2 poles. But the price jumps way up. And usually made for under motorhomes, not portable. Honda IMHO or Yammies (and in that order) is the way to go!

Well I mean possible problems.

Out of fuel

Clogged fuel filter

Clogged air filter

Bad spark plug

Bad spark coil and electronics

Out of Oil causing misc internal problems like siezed piston, sucked valve, messed up crank, etc.

A number of other possible things come to mind.

Hopefully it is the out of fuel or clogged filter options.