Sign in to follow this  

Next step from an XR70

Right now my 10 year old rides an 01 XR70. He loves the bike but the little thing just isn't cutting it for him anymore. He is a big boy (nearly 5 feet tall with a growth spurt coming on). He loves ride fast and jump. He is really overwhelming the power and suspension at this point.

I was going to get him a two stroke MX bike but he likes to ride around the yard and we live in the suburbs. Our neighbors have been cool about it so far and I would like to keep it that way. A loud two stroke would probably change their tune fast.

I am thinking a 150 is going to be a good choice because it has a clutch, good power, and decent suspension travel. I was also thinking about the 100 (he fits well on it) but I fear that that isn't going to be much better than the 70 power wise.

Thoughts? I was also thinking of the 230 but that is probably a bit too much at this point.

I had ruled the 125s out. My buddy's kid rides a 65 two stroke he's ridden their neighbor's DRZ-125 a bunch of times. He used to ride a 70 and said that the 125 isn't really that much faster than the 70 and way slower than his 65.

Uhhhhh . . . a 70 doesn't compared to a 125. Maybe a 110. But I beat plenty of 140cc - 160cc 110's on my ttr125. And on real tracks, they can't even come close (unless they're pro) Let's just say this, today at elsinore vet track, I passed most of the big bikes out there. Even though they gap me (huge) on the big straight, I got them rail the inside ruts. Let's see a 70 do that!! :thumbsup: