Sign in to follow this  

is Gatorade bad for you??

a lot of people tell me that Gatorade is really bad for you and to not drink it but I always thought it is good to drink it deffinatly keeps me going a lot more than water but I do drink a lot of it

usually if I dont watch my self I will drink a gallon in a day but most of the time I can make it last 2

Motorcycle riding is bad for you and Gatorade is a drink? Water is a must but proper hydration starts before you get thirsty, if your thirsty it is too late. I do a spin class and you have to have a bottle of water to do the class for example. Before races I like to pee clear that way I know my body is ready to go. I like Gatorade too and find that it can quench my thrust when water wont. Ever body is different, try mixing your Gatorade 50/50 with water and see what happens. Check sources out on the web as there is lots of information on this.

It's MOSTLY sugar!! Get their other product PROPEL 2carbs/sugar!! and you still get the important stuff ---- potassium,etc... which is what replaces your electro-lites :thumbsup:

It's MOSTLY sugar!! Get their other product PROPEL 2carbs/sugar!! and you still get the important stuff ---- potassium,etc... which is what replaces your electro-lites :thumbsup:

I agree mostly sugar.

Water is just that water, nothing else really.

When you sweat a lot you lose a lot more than just water and need to replenish it. The electro-lites and such in energy drinks will give this and you have to decide which one has less of the bad, such as sugar to make it taste good, and more of the good stuff.

My friends mix it 50/50 to dilute the amount of gatorade but the PROPEL to me doesn't taste as good, probably because not as much sugar. Go figure...

I agree you have to be well hydrated before the event and this actually has to happen over a period of time. Not just drinking 4 glasses real quick before you go.

In extreme high temperature, you can drink water and still become ill from loss of electrolytes. Water + salt tablets. (I like Noah's spring water-It has benefit of optimal magnesium over all other bottled waters).

In extreme high temperature, you can drink water and still become ill from loss of electrolytes. Water + salt tablets. (I like Noah's spring water-It has benefit of optimal magnesium over all other bottled waters).

People have actually looked at me funny when I will throw a little bit of salt into a glass of water after working outside for a long time.

Our bodies do need salt, just don't try to survive on it if caught on a island. LOL

Plus now you have sports drinks that come in pouches, which produce the same amount as a bottle of Gatorade for a fraction of the price.

Some of them are loaded with aspartame, other glucose and fructose. The two latters are not as bad as the former, since your body is hungry for sugars at that point.

What bothers me are kids dring that stuff and even energy drinks on a casual basis, as if it is supposed to give them strength like Asterix and his magic potion (if you're not from Europe, you have no clue).

I think what you are all forgetting is that when dehydrated, carbohydrates are just as important as salts.

The sugars enable the body to absorb salts and water more quickly through the intestinal wall. Thus increasing the body's ability to rehydrate. How many of you have been dying of thirst, your belly is full of water, you need to puke, and you just can't seem to quench your thirst??

This would explain why many people crave beer or soda when REALLY thirsty.

So don't discount the sugars in your rehydration drinks.

But unless you're working outside all day, every day, in the 100+ degree heat, water should be sufficent for most of us working in our air conditioned office.

People have actually looked at me funny when I will throw a little bit of salt into a glass of water after working outside for a long time.

Our bodies do need salt, just don't try to survive on it if caught on a island. LOL

Some extreme runners (marathonians and 10k runners) actually have salt crusts around their shoulders from sweating so much and exsuding (sp?) so much.

Among other things, muscle cramping is a result of a sodium deficiency.

Gatorade is going to do more damage to your teeth than anything else :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to agree w/ the 50/50 mix of gatorade and water.

Bobby Boucher would kick our butts if he saw this post on GATORADE!!

cheers!

I found a product on another website that might work for you, try elitewater.com.

I have allways suffered from cramps and since started to use this product have not. It has all the stuff in gatorade and more without the calories and sugar.

I found a product on another website that might work for you, try elitewater.com.

I have allways suffered from cramps and since started to use this product have not. It has all the stuff in gatorade and more without the calories and sugar.

Do you mean Elyte sport? Very good stuff. I have used it for two years. It has about twice the sodium, 11 times as much potassium and lots of magnesium as Gatorade with no sugar. In cost it comes out to be about the same. You will not cramp using this product.

But in some cases you still need some extra energy in long events so thats something you have to figure on as well.

Do you mean Elyte sport? Very good stuff. I have used it for two years. It has about twice the sodium, 11 times as much potassium and lots of magnesium as Gatorade with no sugar. In cost it comes out to be about the same. You will not cramp using this product.

But in some cases you still need some extra energy in long events so thats something you have to figure on as well.

how does that stuff work i am looking at the website and it looks like you are just buying one bottle for 19 bucks

one liter bottles mix 8 oz/gallon makes 4.225 gallons at$19 comes out to maybe 1.15/quart plus shipping. I usually get it by the case since its cheaper that way and I know I will use it up.

I agree, it is great stuff, I won't ride without it anymore. I have always had a problem with dehydration and cramps. Since using the elite, I have only cramp ounce and that was because I ran out of water and rode quite aways in 80 degree heat. by that time I hwas already getting dehydrated. But even then, after taking a direct shot of elete and gettin some water back in me, the cramps slowly went away and I still rode another 80 miles that day cramp free.

Mike

oh I drink lots of water and dont get cramps any more(used to drink a lot of gatorade) but if I just drink water when I go for a bike ride it just makes me feel slugish but gatorade makes me feel a lot better and more energetic

Among other things, muscle cramping is a result of a sodium deficiency.

Gatorade is going to do more damage to your teeth than anything else :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to agree w/ the 50/50 mix of gatorade and water.

Bobby Boucher would kick our butts if he saw this post on GATORADE!!

cheers!

I'd agree, gatorade is horrible for your teeth, worse than soda some say.

speedo sports water is best. 20 cals. all the b vitamins. and alot of minerals. 50 cents a bottle. good stuff