Sign in to follow this  

Unibiker installation

my unibiker install experience so far (not quite done) they shorted me 2 m6 mounting screws(another trip to the hardware store :ride: ). Seems like a very good product but the radiator to frame mounting bolts don't seem to have as much engagement as the should to me. I haven't even gotten to the plastic shroud install yet due to my bolt shortage. I am going to grab a couple longer bolts for the bottom of the shroud also as they look to be a bit short now. Any tips b4 I button it up? :thumbsup:

I installed mine and had to grind off some of the bottom post that came with the guards to prevent the RS3 header pipe from hitting it. All the hardware they supplied worked fine. The bolts to the frame were long enough.

The instructions say to use the stock bolts for mounting the plastic back on, but I found that the bottom shroud bolts are not long enough. Because these bolts are just long enough to turn in a couple of threads mine stripped out the first crash I had. Luckily only the top couple of threads stripped out of the re-enforcing rod and the longer bolt was able to thread in and fix the problem. The guard worked great to prevented my rad from being pushed in. Unfortunately because the bolt let go so easily it pushed the guard into the rad causing a leak :thumbsup:

I went with a 1/4 inch longer bolt for the bottom shroud attachment.

Yes, the lower bolts will need to be replaced with longer ones. Some people, including my self had issues with the left side rear support brace pressing into the rad hose. :applause: Some people deemed it ok, but mine was actually bending the fins on the rad. I ended up cutting off the brace and fabbing my own support arm. Also, the threaded holes on the end of the support rods were actually full of paint and crap :applause: , had a hard time re-tapping so Unabiker (Brian) sent some new rods.

All in all the guards are super beefy once installed :thumbsup: . Most of the people have the same issues during installation, so I do not know why Unabiker does not spend a little time refining fit and package contents? :ride: Just my experience and opinion.... :applause:

Thanks everyone I did replace the bottom shroud bolts and everything else went fine. :thumbsup:

I got my Unabikers rad guards last night - put them on in about 2 hours taking my time. They fit well, if tight, but I don't see how anyone can have such a beefy design without them being tight. Not to say there's not room for improvement. I was very pleased with the quality and the strength after installation.

'06 SM, basically stock at this time. I read most all the threads I could find and was a little worried.

Let me give my version:

(Following directions)(being patient to avoid damaging anything)

Remove both plastic rad shrouds. (Note: the OEM lower shroud bolts on both sides are longer than the other two. Put them back in that way or the lower bolts will be short, and the longer ones might punture your fuel tank)!?

Remove right side frame cover.

Remove seat.

Dissconnect & remove horn at bracket.

Dissconnect 3 hoses to fuel tank and remove fuel tank. (little bit of gas leak, but will not drain cause vacuum is not present)

Remove radiator frame mounting bolts.

Additionally, I removed front fender to make it easier.

The radiators are now floating, attached just by the hoses.

Slide the radiator guards on from the front. They go over the radiators on all sides. IMPORTANT - first thing - Line up the radiator frame bolt holes in the guards and in the radiators. Take your time. The "U" in Unabiker goes top and outside to tell which is which. After this alignment, the guards are 98% in position.

Install the reinforcing tube rods with the supplied "button" bolts & washers, but LEAVE THEM LOOSE. You can fold the rads back to gain access to the inside tube rod bolts. I tightened the inside bolts farther in than the outside (but still loose) to make it easier to tighten them later.

Start the rad frame bolts loosely by hand. At this point you need to tweak the assembly to make sure there is no binding. The left one is easy.

The right one is tight. On the right one, the top inside support rod bolt needed to be moved as far back in the slot on the guard as possible, so the bolt head clears the oil line on the frame. At the bottom, the tube rod itself will rest right against the hose clamp, rad hose, and rad hose connector. After tightening however, this will all be fine IMO. With tightening everything becomes like one unit, which is what everyone likes about these guards. Very strong.

Once I had them tweaked in position, I tightened the tube rod bolts by hand to remove some of the looseness. I removed the rad frame bolts again, folded back the rads and tightened the inside tube rod bolts making sure to keep them where they were.

Then I started the rad frame bolts again, and tightened them, alternating between the bolts. Then finally, tightened the outside tube rod bolts. Done with the guards.

Last I inspected to make sure nothing was pinched or tweaked, and replaced all the stuff I took off. Make sure you replace eveything exactly as it came off. (all 3 fuel tank hoses?)

Of course, I can see how a modded headpipe, or a dropped bike, may cause problems, but I'm a BIG FAN of these UNABIKER guards.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the E models have a different design than the SM and the S. This is where some people are having the trouble :applause: . You right though..once installed they are super strong :thumbsup: .

thx for the write-up hermazoid, mine have been sitting awhile. Gonna do it and check my tappet clearances at the same time. The manual says drain the oil so I guess I'm waiting another 900 miles.

Yes, the lower bolts will need to be replaced with longer ones. Some people, including my self had issues with the left side rear support brace pressing into the rad hose. :lol: Some people deemed it ok, but mine was actually bending the fins on the rad. I ended up cutting off the brace and fabbing my own support arm. Also, the threaded holes on the end of the support rods were actually full of paint and crap :eek: , had a hard time re-tapping so Unabiker (Brian) sent some new rods.

All in all the guards are super beefy once installed :applause: . Most of the people have the same issues during installation, so I do not know why Unabiker does not spend a little time refining fit and package contents? :lol: Just my experience and opinion.... :naughty:

I just tried to install on a drz 2006 E, forget it..... left side bracket will force rad hose into rad. There is less than 1/4 in between rad & hose & hose width extends to center of tank mount bolt.... That WAY to much crush factor for the hose with bracket installed. Bracket is a bad design, should of gone over hose with bolt hole flange faceing forward instead of to rear.

My install was the same way ('04 E). I spent way too much time trying to get the short bolts to attach the lower shrouds. After I went and bought some longer ones at NAPA, the install went much quicker. My guards do press the rad hose against the radiator, but I have not had any coolant or overheating issues. I saw one link where someone manufactured extensions to attach the back of the guard to the frame that would alleviate the crushed radiator hose issue. Had the kit had one of those, it would have also sped up the install process. At a minimum, though, why Unabiker doesn't supply two longer bolts is beyond me. :lol: Installed, though, they are rock solid and I love 'em!:applause:

I finished the install on my 06 E last night, had the same problems with bolts and rad hose. Hardware store took care of the bolts and a heavy duty zip tie keeps the hose clear of the rad.

2nd that. My E was also a problem on the left side. I don't think the trapped hose is going to be a problem, but I'll be checking it closely. I didn't have any clearance at all between the hose, radiator, and Unibiker support once everything was tightened up securely. I'll also be needing the longer bolts for the lower shroud mounts, like everyone else.

Rock solid, though. I feel a lot more secure having these mounted. This old guy was falling almost every ride. :applause: Not bad falls, but sooner or later one of them was going to mess up a radiator. I didn't want to straighten another. Might not be as lucky as the first time.

After reading this thread, I had the longer bolts on hand before installation. I find that longer bolts often come in handy! Like everyone else, my left radiator hose was a tight fit. But, they are on and I'm happy. :applause:

Now I'm hoping my new Acerbis 4.2 gallon tank will fit without too much trouble.

Utahreddirt

Does any of you E guys front fender rub the guards? mine does slightly.