Cdi

Im in search of a replacement CDI. This is for a 2004 E model. I need one that will work with stock components. If anyone has one for sale, or knows where I can get one for cheaper than $250 let me know. Has anyone tried to "procom" model that is on ebay for $90? Thanks in advance! ?

You can use any CDI - E, S, SM, or aftermarket. Some of the aftermarket units seem to have problems so you take your chances. If you use S or SM CDI, you need to make 1 simple wire change and the RPM limiter is 500 rpm less. Why do you need a CDI?

I'd stay away from procomm units, they are known to fail at any time,,,and on the trail would not be a good time to fail.

Also the quads cdi is even lower rev limiter than the S so stay away from them as well.

I'd try to find another E if I were you.

I have narrowed my other thread https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401814

down to this issue. My buddy who is a mechanic at a local dealership took my bike for a few days and determined this to be the issue. So what else is there to do when a professional mechanic provides a resolution, since he surely knows better than I. Anyhow, I may have access to a S/M model CDI, but they are 500 rpm less on the rev limit, is it even worth the money, or will I notice dramatic changes?

OK - It could be the CDI. My very first reply to the other thread was it "sounds like ignition". CDI failure is rare but possible. I would want to try a swap with known good unit to verify it will fix the problem before I bought a new one. If you are swaping S or SM units as a test, remember to hold the kill button down to ground the interlock wire so it will make sparks. 500 less rpm limit would not be a problem for me but it depends on how you ride the bike and how often you hit the limiter now.

500 RPM at this point wouldnt be a problem, because I dont ride it that fast, I am ussually on technical trails, or small tracks. This is a request to someone in the tri State area of MD, WV, PA. I am in Cumberland, MD, and if anyone has a CDI they would allow me to test on my bike, it would be appreciated. I am certainly willing to bring the bike to your house, or a meeting place, to test, but feel comfortable to send me one, and I will return it. Any takers?

Feel for Yellow Pig, she may be in need of a new heart. Help me find out! ?

I should have a 2006 SM CDI in my garage. PM your info. (address etc.) I'll send it to you, if it works, keep it (no charge), if not please send it back. I'm just up in York, PA so if you want to take a drive this weekend i'll give you directions. I have a small 2 acre MX track on my property, you can test your bike here. In person or mail, up to you.

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered to assist me with my problem. I was turned to this site from a fellow TT'er, because he said everyone was knowldgeable, and helpful. I am glad I am here, and hope to return the favor to someone else, when I am able to do so. ?:ride::applause: <<< Insert Sentimental Joke Here >>> I will reply with the outcome of my problem, when i receive the CDI. :applause::cheers:

Are you clear on the differences between the "E" and "S/SM" CDI?

The E has a "kill" button. For the E to run, the kill button wire must be open circuit. The S/SM has a sidestand interlock system. That wire (green) that goes to the same terminal on the CDI box must be grounded to make sparks.

So if you plug a S/SM box into an E wire harnes you must hold the kill button down for it to make sparks. If you plug and E box into a S/SM harness you have to disconnect the green interlock wire.

nuffins01, I mailed the CDI today. Let me know how it works out. If you have problems i'll send out the other one for a try. The shipping was only $2.50. Redrodent did not charge me when he shipped a CDI my way, so no charge to you either. I'm glad I could help out.