Sign in to follow this  

I need honest help

I have been researching companies to set up the suspension on my 04 Honda CR 250r. I weigh 240 and am a intermediate level trail rider. There are so many companies that do good work and offer such a range of pricing and there are so many opinions on what works and what you should pay that I get a headache thinking about it.

I want to maximize the quality without waisting money. Thanks for the help.

Russ,

Before you do anything else with the suspension, get the correct spring rates installed and then ride it to see what it feels like.

You may find you can live with the stock valving but you'll never get it right without the right springs.

:thumbsup:

I'll add to what SC Spode said, you should also play with the clickers to find the best set up with the stock stuff. There is a pretty big adjustment range. Find a section of trail that is causing you the most problem & keep going through it. Make an adjustment then go through it again & see if it helped. Make big changes at first, go all the way out, then go all the way in. You'll be able feel a big difference. By doing this you will be gaining a lot of information that can help your suspension guy if you decide to get it revalved.

Russ,

I would look for a local tunner that has a good rep in your area. This can be beneficial to you in many way's.

Well, the main thing to consider is that any tuner should take a comprehensive look at what your needs are. This begins with spring rates, your weight, what you ride, how fast you ride it and what your complaints and expectations are.

Additionally, there are obviously plenty of shops that do little tuning and are mostly good at servicing suspension, such as oil, seal and bushing changes.

On the most part, you're going to get what you pay for but it's always worth validating the source.

Companies like Enzo, Factory Connection and Pro Circuit are going to deliver some quality work. Each will be different, but it will be well done. That aside, there are plenty of guys running some small one or two man shops that can really kick out some amazing stuff, AND they'll give you the attention of a top pro.