450R Tranny Oil Check Plug Gasket

I just bought an '06 CRF 450R new. What's the deal with the

tranny oil check plug gasket? Does that thing really need to be

replaced everytime I check my oil like the owner's manual says?

Anyone running octane booster in there 450Rs if they run just pump

gas?

What a cool web site!!!

Thanks

If you mean the check bolt, you should never even use it - the bolt is in the wrong location and you will damage the engine if you use the bolt hole to check oil. Leave it in place and you'll never have to change the gasket. Measure the correct amount of oil and pour. There's 50 000 000 threads about this in here, do a search.

Just put 700cc's in the tranny and call it good. Like RMXC51 said, the check bolt is too low and will start leaking oil out before you have enough oil in.

typhoon67 from MotoTalk is a very reputable mechanic and recommends even more oil in the tranny:

With the CRF450, be sure to use an extra 150-200cc of oil in the trans to prevent countershaft/first gear damage (every one I have taken apart has fried the shaft at first gear due to the oil level too low and all said they had no trouble with first gear yet)the factory oil level is too low, this shaft sits above the oil level. 700cc's is not enough, I have had well over 50 of these apart and all had damaged trans, at 700cc the shaft is above the oil level, use at least 800cc or a little more, the shaft, gear and associated thrust washers and bushing that get ruined are over $200.00 alone..... and the rider/owner will not notice the problem untill more parts are damaged.

typhoon67 from MotoTalk is a very reputable mechanic and recommends even more oil in the tranny:
He's very convincing but I gotta wonder why I haven't heard this before, and why wouldn't Honda have issued a service bulletin about it and recommended running more oil if the matter were that straightforward ?

if your riding mx or hard trails i would think that the oil would be splashing around enough to lube that.. now on a flat road i can understand the lack of lubrication. ? maybe honda designed the oil level for the MX scene. There for they could use less oil and "save" weight.

Do what you will fellas, but I am telling you that the bike needs at least 700cc's of oil in the tranny side. I actually think I was running upwards of 800cc in my 05.

Agreed. As soon as I read all the posts about the tranny oil level, I went out to the garage and put in another 200 ml over stock (650ml). This gives me 850ml in the tranny.

if your riding mx or hard trails i would think that the oil would be splashing around enough to lube that.. now on a flat road i can understand the lack of lubrication.

Raceman, the rotating gearswheels will also splash lots of oil, even on a flat road

but i wonder if too much oil won't cause too much heat ?