Sign in to follow this  

First Time DS, first time bike

Hello,

I was thinking of getting a DS bike for riding around on weekends about 20 miles tops. It will probably be ridden 60% road and 40% Dirt/gravel road. I weigh about 240lbs. I would also like to be able to carry a passenger with me occasionally, 120lbs. I would like to spend $1000 or less. Keep in mind this will be my first motorcycle, I will probably learn how to ride on it. The most mechanical experience I have is fixing my bicycle, however I do have access to people who can help that have allot of experience and there is always a bookstore.

Is it possible to find a bike that fits the above specs, or, is I pipe dreaming?

If so, could you point me to specific models/years?

Thanks for your recommendations.

You may or may not be dreaming. Assuming you don't mind a kickstart then an old klr250 might do fine. Ironically I have one in great mechanical condition buts looks terrible for sale - worth maybe $800. There may be one near you like that.

Very very wise of you to get something older for your first bike ($$$).

Coffee,

Thanks for the recommendation, I checked the model out and it looks affordable. dirtyriders110 mentioned that I would need a 400 or a 650 for my needs but I remember speaking to a friend a while back and said that a 250 is more than enough power. :thumbsup:

Which bike to get... it is not just displacement but a lot of things.

My vote for what it is worth is to take a MSF road class and also a MSF dirt class. They should have bikes for you to try in both so you can get a better 'feel' of what you like. There is no hard and fast rule that says XXXcc is the one to get - it is all about what you like, don't make to big a deal out of it. They are all a lot of fun.

If you want detailed input you need to say if your road work is 50mph back roads or 80mph freeways where you need to have a bunch of power to get out of bad situations. You said "dirt / gravel road" as opposed to tight single track so that helps.

Dual sports are a nice idea and not a bad place to start but do not excel at either road or dirt. BTW - the XT225 is one of the most under rated bikes I know of, and there is the Super Sherpa, and others out there.

Edit - check out this, and please do not go cheap on the gear. You also may want to check out the DS section of TT.