Sign in to follow this  

Gold Lake OHV Camp site

Has anyone tent camped atthe OHV site at Gold Lake above (Downieville) Sierra City? Good spot to ride from? Any facilities? Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

Gold Lake OHV campground has pit toilets and thats about it. Like 250xGuy said you have to 4 wheel in and its pretty rocky. The trails out of Gold Lake are mostly fireroad but it is a short distance to epic single track in Downieville. :thumbsup: Look on a forest service map and find Ross and the A Tree campgrouds which are accessed through Plumas Eureka State Park. Great campgrounds away from people and close to all the riding.

Campgrounds are great, pit toilets, like stated above. Mostly 4x4 road and some fire roads. The only single track I know of is down butcher ranch to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd divides. The problem with that is: on any given weekend you may find 50-100 plus mtn. bikers going down as these trails are better know as the Downieville downhill. One mile of vertical drop in approx. 15 miles. Very bad idea to try and ride this trail on a weekend and I would NEVER recommend trying to go back up it. Some guys coming down it exceed 30 mph in several sections. Combine that with a 30 to 50 foot cliff down to the water and very technical in some places, it's a recipe for death.

I was just up there mid July and it was packed and we drove in on Thur. night. There was only two Camp sites left. The 4x4 trail into the CG is a moderate trail. I took my stock 4runner with running boards and a 6 x10 flat bed trailer (3500 lbs) without any damage just took my time.

There is no thrill better than going up 2nd divide. :ride: But, I am missing a few vital brain cells. :thumbsup:

2nd Divide. Talk about pucker factor. Probably will never ride it again and I'll ride anything.

2nd Divide. Talk about pucker factor. Probably will never ride it again and I'll ride anything.

yeah, there's one or two bits of exposure there. i think there are a few trails there that are sketchier tho. and some of the riding in the sawtooths makes 2nd divide look like a bunny hill.

Very bad idea to try and ride this trail on a weekend and I would NEVER recommend trying to go back up it. Some guys coming down it exceed 30 mph in several sections. Combine that with a 30 to 50 foot cliff down to the water and very technical in some places, it's a recipe for death.

the mtn bikers typically do butcher to 3rd divide, which is pretty wide and safe. i only ride up it early in the morning. real early. then i'm still careful.

i rode up it with 3 mcclouds on my bike a few times doing trailwork.

coming down is not a problem, but i usually try to avoid the couple popular trails at peak hours just because it's funner for me and considerate to the others.

The mountain bikers I have come across there have been really pleasant to deal with. When I dropped my bike off the slope on 2nd a bunch even stopped and helped me an my buddy drag it back uphill. I think most bikers who ride there are really into the sport, not the punks that people seem to have problems with. Knowing the trails and which way they run sure helps avoid problems and accidents. I sure would like to see the trails with higher pucker factor. YIKES! :thumbsup:

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Are there better trails for MC above Gold Lake since it sounds like the trails heading down toward Downieville are crowded with MTB traffic? Is it all 4x4 road north / west of the lake?