Sign in to follow this  

MX indurance

what are some ways you keep your health and indurance during a motocross race.. what you eat for dinner before the race, race day breakfast and snacks.... cause i have a real problem showing up to race/ride and about to puke or upset stomach after about 25 min of hard riding hitting all the jumps and everything.. I KNOW.. its cause of what i eat..

i heard you should not eat bread near a race/ride, no colored liquids..

Endurance. To improve your performance, I'd suggest watching Gary Semics video #5 on "What to do on raceday". It includes some of the nutrition info that you're asking about, plus a lot of other helpful stuff. Gary Semics is a sponsor of TT, so you can get to his website by clicking through the advertising banners at the top of the MX forum, or just follow this link:

http://www.gsmxs.com/Videos.htm

I eat a frozen pizza in the morning about 2-3 hours before I leave my house to go ride. Then I try not to eat anything all day. The pizza is basically something with low bulk but high in calories and I seem to stretch it pretty good through the day. Then I drink alot of Propel and water at the track. I know it doesnt sound like Lance's top pic for breakfast at the tour or something cheesy off a nutrition site, but it works for me.

to get endurance i run on the treadmill every day for 15 minutes at noon, 4 pm and 8 pm, and go swimming for 10 mins at 2 pm and that helps my endurance ALOT i dont get tired that much anymore..as for what to do on raceday when i wake up i have eggs and orange juice then drink water water water in the morning and i dirnk about 2 gallons the day before...on the day before and also on raceday my goal is to pee clear so i know im hydrated then after the morning practice i just drink gatorade

you will build up your endurancee by either riding more or working out in some way, as for diet, years ago I learned night before event I would eat lotza pasta, a few hours before the event I would eat foods high in protein..But the best diet in the world won't help you if you are not physically conditioned.

Oh dont get me wrong, I also spend time in the gym, 1-2 days a week, and mtn bike about 10 miles 4 days a week on some NORBA level cross country trails, and then I ride 2+ days a week too. I just thought the question was directed towards intake not exhaust.

Nothing is going to get you more in shape than riding. Dont look for a special diet, or some exercise that is going to replace it. Cause one day some 260 lbs dude on a 1995 YZ250 that rides everyday at his house is going to smoke you and then your gonna be really P.O.'d!!!

Get out and ride more.

I start to pound water on thursday and keep drinking it until the end of sunday. For dinner saturday night I usually have some sort of pasta dish. I like to try and eat a couple of bannanas on saturday (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) also. Then on sunday I eat a couple of peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches and another bannana. During the day on sunday I only eat fruit especially water melon easy to eat, juicy, tasty and full of water.

Bill

I used to frequent a gym which doubled as an olympic weightlifting club and according to all these guys, the carbs you eat become fully available 3/4 of a day after their intake. That's for the slow burning carb, of course. I thought they were exagerating a bit at first but here were guys (and a girl) without a huge mass of muscles lifting ridiculously heavy weights, sometimes 2 1/2 times their own weight. Not exactly the most elegant of sports but quite impressive to see.

I guess they knew what they were talking about. Also pro cyclists (Tour de France and such) eat pasta during an early evening meal (around 5pm) and they start using these carbs around 9am, but their carb intake is regular throughout the entire competition. Their breakfasts are consistent yet light.

When I played rugby I was always advised to eat lots of carbs in the evening and to have a strong breakfast followed by a very light lunch, if the game was in the afternoon. If it was a morning game, then everything was moved one notch, meaning a light breakfast: no butter, no fried stuff, no egg just cereals with a little milk, energy bars and breakfast bars, no coffee of course (not even to wake you up, orange juice will do that). Eggs are bad before an activity, especially the yoks. We had a lunch on the road once and were served devile eggs: our coach had us all wipe the yolky crap and only eat the whites.

Looking at what these athletes do and what I used to do myself, I am conviced that carbs indeed start kicking in between 12 and 16 hours after their intake. Fat stuff can decrease your performance. Glucose shortly before will increase it and the best is still OJ.

Stay away from energy drinks, they make you crash because they are all full of junk, especially those with caffeine and high fructose corn syrup.

As for training, I find that running is good, but it is high impact (apparently you can hurt your lower legs and even risk a fracture), unlike swimming or the elliptical. Cardio and interval training is what gives me the best results for improving my endurance, but there are many different points of view on the question.

anything cardio for AT LEAST 40-45 NON-STOP for any good!!!

I perfer jogging SLOW 5-7mph(10min mile), and with no ACL and Ti rods down both shins i have no problems.. Walk if you have to but AT LEAST 40 mins!!! or your wasting your time!!

biking or swimming for low impact cardio, I hate to run unless something big, scary, & dangerous is chasing me with intent to kill :thumbsup: (bad knees)

no coffee of course

Thanks for what you have posted and it makes a lot of sense, think I will keep my coffee though if you don't mind.... of course I do not do mx...