Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha XT225

I'm looking into getting a commuter bike and was curious about the XT225. Anyone have any experience with this bike?

I had one for a year. I wanted more motor and suspension for aggressive dirt riding so I traded up. It's a real good motorcycle for light duty uses: up to about 50 mph on the road, and trail riding at "family" speeds. A good commuter- absolutely.

i confirm what motoinmoab says. good commuter as long as you're not talking about freeway speeds, or riding double, or otherwise making the little engine work hard. for a more serious commute, i'd consider stepping up to a 400, or even a dr650 or something like that. my klr650 got 50+mpg in typical commuting style riding. the xt225 was a bit better, mid 60's iirc.

mw

I also am interested in the XT225,I was wondering where to go for aftermarket items,I understand there's not much?

Never owned one but looked at them seriously. Air cooled, estart, not that heavy for a dual sport (might be the lightest one), not too tall so wind may be less of an issue.

I did test ride one. Feels unique to me in a good way. The tranny is super wide which I like. I have heard people grumbling about the jetting which I would hope would be a simple matter to sort out.

2 things for sure though - I like the 2006 color scheme much better than 2007, and for a very very long time I watched craigs list and newspaper and used one just never come up. The few that did went for great deal of $$$ and sold quickly at least in CA. Others have commented on that too. Of course you probably heard of loisontheloose dot com...

Buy one and sell it if you don't like it?

I ride one 50 to 75 miles everyday at work, and its a solid little bike. Top speed is about 70 to 75 mph. Great mileage and very reliable.

I had one last year. I would still have it but my daily commute was 2/3 highway. Great bike on the trails unless you're a really aggressive rider. Nice and light and low. Surprisingly good power for a 225. I moved up to a DR650(which I love) and the power difference is very noticeable but not as much as you would think with a motor that is nearly 3 times the size. Not really anything out there for mods, or for the DR650 either for that matter. Loved the XT225. It was really at its best on tight trails or on 80 kph (50mph) roads. That 6th gear is a godsend. I wish I had that 6th on my DR. At 50 - 60 mph, 6th will pull up any hill on the road. You could cruise all day and never shift that little bike.

Ive had a 225 for a summer now(1000 miles) and I really like it. It will do 65 on the highway all day. It corners great, very reliable. I did the exhaust mod (hole saw to the baffle) and that helped a bunch with power and sound. It is light and not all that stable at high speeds. I think next year I am going to be looking at something in a 400cc range so I am not limited to the highways.

check out www.xt225.com forums for everything you could ever want to know. I commute a couple of miles in town each day on mine, and occasionally take it out in the woods. It's a great bike.

i had a 1992 xt225 before my current xt350. solid little bike that i pounded the piss out of and was still together at 18,000km on the clock. it was only a 5 speed but it would haul my butt to work all week for $5.00 in high test gas. if they are run at higher rpms the top ends tend to stay together better. i usually traveled on the highway at 100kph and wot was 120kph depending on rider. the guys at my dearlership couldnt belive how that thing was holding together as most of the other ones that where run at lower rpms already had had headwork done to them by the time they hit 8000km. if i had kept it it was time for a teardown and overhaul. kid offered me what i paid for it so away it went. never knew about this forumn at the time so it was sold almost in stock config other than the scars.

i have an 06 and it is really good on the trail for me because of the seat height( nice and low). it is a good feeling to be able to touch ground on both sides at times. i do also wish it had a bit more power, but the only place i really notice it is it will not accelerate up big hills at all.( on or off road). i think the suspension works pretty good offroad being that is is so soft is soaks up everything short of a big jump which is not recomended anyway for them.

I was also considering the XT225 for the same reason, I elected to go with the DR200SE, my local zook dealer is fantastic and that helped a bit, but otherwise on paper the XT225 is a better bike, 6 speed and more power, but I like the older school look of the DR better.

I have a xt225 2007 Model run good on the road, trail very good with a 14 front tooth gear.Suspenison is so/so on trails.

you need kenda 760s or equivalent 30 road 70 dirt tire for this bike to really come alive on the trails. The cheng shin stockers are absolute shit

07 xt225 was my first bike

nice on highway, limited on the trail

went over some passes (tin cup) and did the treeline trail, I got where I was going but not aggressively, I'm tall, it's short, moved on the a wr250f

xt is now the "town" dirtbike

no kick so if starter fails, it's a push start

great bike for 70 highway / 30 trails

if I did it over probably would look at the Kawa 250

no complaints for first bike and 70/30 non agressive trail riding

I just picked up a 2002 Xt225 this afternoon. Looks almost new, but has 6K on the odo. It's for my wife's first bike and I know she's going to love it as soon as she sees it. If I hadn't just bought myself a DZR400 last week I'd probably have kept the Yamaha for myself, because it feels so good.

The only problem I have is it's very cold natured. Takes an extremely long time to warm up to a ridable temp. I hope it's something simple to improve with some carb and/or valve adjustments. I'll post it as a thread.

I just picked up a 2002 Xt225 this afternoon. Looks almost new, but has 6K on the odo. It's for my wife's first bike and I know she's going to love it as soon as she sees it. If I hadn't just bought myself a DZR400 last week I'd probably have kept the Yamaha for myself, because it feels so good.

The only problem I have is it's very cold natured. Takes an extremely long time to warm up to a ridable temp. I hope it's something simple to improve with some carb and/or valve adjustments. I'll post it as a thread.

I am really thinking about getting a nice used one for my fiance' for Christmas or something... They are cool little bikes