Sign in to follow this  

Brrrraaat POP POP????

I went on vacation for three weeks, upon my return I decided to take my DRZ for a spin. Once I started it up my bike was sputtering and giving a little back-fire. I thought that this was just old gas in the carburetor and fuel lines. Throughout my ride the sputtering or back-fire continued. My second though was that the carburetor might need some flushing. I removed the carburetor and cleaned toughly with parts cleaner. I did not get to the jets, I just cleaned in the areas accessible with little taking apart. With everything back together, the sputtering and back-fire was till there. It’s a bummer because I never touched the bike in the first place, just went on vacation! Can anyone help?

What kind of DRZ? What carb? And yes it is probably the jets that need to be cleaned. You just can not let current fuel formulations sit in a carb even fo a few weeks.

My riding schedule is unreliable at best. Last winter I went to STA-BIL on every tank full no matter my best intentions. That way I won't have any worries. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

From way out in left field, make sure a mouse did not build a nest in your air box or your exhaust. Had one fill my exhaust with about 3 handfulls of dog food once, bike would barely run till I took the exhaust off and dumped all the dog food out. Ya never know.

not really sure, but the jets are what need to be clean.

Don't forget the needle... I have heard of them getting stuck as well.

Rats nest. Yea, had that happen too. Don't you just hate that.

the little container of stabil is around $3 or $4 and treats 20 gallons, i never fuel any of my motorcycles, 4 wheelers, lawn tractor, lawn mowers or other small engines up w/o it

From way out in left field, make sure a mouse did not build a nest in your air box or your exhaust. Had one fill my exhaust with about 3 handfulls of dog food once, bike would barely run till I took the exhaust off and dumped all the dog food out. Ya never know.

LOL! Now thats comedy! :thumbsup: