Sign in to follow this  

Help with a 2005 TTR125LE with a stuck choke

My son's bike has the choke stuck in the off position. I took the carb off and the nut on the top where the choke cable goes in. The cable will not move the internal mechanism. It feels like it's frozen in place. I tried WD, choke cleaner and nothing. It just won't budge.

Has anyone had this issue and is there any fix??

Lucky it's stuck close so its just hard to start but runs well once started.

Thanks in advance . . .

:thumbsup: Nevermind . . . I should always use the search button first

I think I made a long post on how to fix this problem, did you find it?

Someone was telling me that they bought a new carb. for the bike, and it eliminated the choke cable. He said it had a little push lever on the carb.

Someone was telling me that they bought a new carb. for the bike, and it eliminated the choke cable. He said it had a little push lever on the carb.

Ya isn't that anyone who has the YZ80 carb?

Try using some penetrating oil(not wd40) and let it sit for a while then try and pull it out with plyers. Once its out sand off the rust/crap that is on it. Lube it everyone once in a while to keep it from happening again.

Thats ME! I tried soaking in carb acid (available at any Napa store in gallons and other sizes) and it did no good, so I installed a 26mm Keihin. You need a flange to adapt the manifold, and some minor rejetting, (I can't honestly remember the exact specs I wound up with, they are written down in my files though). No more cable choke, and it makes better power, and pulls stronger throughout the powerband (thats my Fruit of the Looms dyno though)!

take the choke part out fo the carb, it will stick but just pull and it will come out. get some penetrating oil i got wet sand paper and cleaned the corotion off and put it back in with a little bit of oil on the rubber o-ring and it works a lot better :thumbsup:

Ya isn't that anyone who has the YZ80 carb?

I wasn't talking about the YZ80 carb, even though that would work too. I was refering to chickenhauler. We discussed his carb issues awhile back, and he ended up getting the 26mm Keihin. What carb is stock on the yz80/85s?

HAHA (not laughing at u), my choke broke a few years ago so we just cut it off at the carb. Only takes 15-30 kicks and the bike is started so its not that big of a deal.

Since you're in California and hopefully below 2000' you shouldn't need the choke anyway. If it's jetted properly . . . two pushes of the button max. I've never used the choke ever and it always started right up. Even on cold mornings (mid 30's). I never got the stupid carb to rev, but it always started first try. I end up with a 200x carb and it ran ten times better. The choke is on the side of the carb.

Here is my thread on what I did that worked for me...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233572

By the way, if you don't have an estart I really wouldn't ditch the choke. It really helps out 1000% in a kickstart bike.

If the bike didn't need one, it wouldn't be on there. Usually bikes that start well without a choke are a little on the rich side at idle. Keeping the bike as lean as you can get away with gives you more power and makes it easier to start when its hot.

By the way, if you don't have an estart I really wouldn't ditch the choke. It really helps out 1000% in a kickstart bike.

If the bike didn't need one, it wouldn't be on there. Usually bikes that start well without a choke are a little on the rich side at idle. Keeping the bike as lean as you can get away with gives you more power and makes it easier to start when its hot.

True, but the title says, "TTR125LE" and not "L". So it has an electric start. And you're right, it needs to be as lean as it can get. And I NEVER told him to ditch the choke. I said, it's on the left on the carb. So you don't have to worry about a cable. However, Me and a ton of other people who race these things take the butterfly completely out of the carb and have been doing so for decades. As far back as the XR75 days with Jeff Ward. So it isn't really neccessary. But I understand there's a big difference between racing and putt putting around or trail riding.

Also, In Florida, you guys have crazy weather so you need to choke more than we do. Here the weather almost never changes from April to October.

good penetrating lube is the fix.

and if that dont fix it, then you probably just need a bigger hammer. haha