Sign in to follow this  

R/R rewire...DRZ400s

Just wanted to post the results of my R/R rewire, done per method described by poster here a while back, sorry I can't remember his name. My bike was a left over '02 bought last year so had a weak battery that needed a charge every other day, tried prying it open and topping it off and charging but that didn't help. I put a switch in the headlight circuit and removed the sidestand and clutch lever switches to simplify the system, added a new battery and just this morning decided to rewire the regulator/rectifier direct to the battery. The stock wiring takes the regulated current thru one plug then to the 20 a. fuse holder and then over to the starter relay where it is ganged with the larger wire which goes back to the battery plus terminal.

I spliced into the R/R wires about 3 inches from unit and with crimped butt splices and 14 gage aircraft wire ran 2 new leads direct to battery with crimped ring terminals and all in heat shrink.

Before rewire with headlight on I was getting 14.16v. at battery at a steady high idle rpm and after rewire 14.44v.,with light off 14.47v. prior to mod and 14.64v. after so a small but definite improvement with a more direct and potentially less troubleprone system. The fused wire to the rest of the bike is still intact and the old plug that the R/R plugged into is taped over and tywrapped in its original position. It's an easy mod and will hopefully keep me from having to try and bump start my 400s in the bottom of a gully. I still think I'll put on a kicker though, never had a bike without one. Mark

Yes, thanks Noble...my memory isn't getting any better. No pix but eventually I'll get to where I can add some. Not much to see with this mod but definitely positive results and easy to do. Mark