Sign in to follow this  

Acl

Third day of ACL reconstruction, up and walking with a slight temptation to use a crutch, but not bad. Not using the pain meds, I just don't agree with them. Doc informed me to not prop the leg up, let it stretch. Leg feels tight on the inclose but not so bad straightening out. Alittle trouble walking but not bad. Seen pics, and I have arthritus at such a young age, bone going through so he said if he put a new miniscus in, it would have just tore it up. So no go. He instructed me no more running, or playing basketball. The up and down motion will kill the knee completely. Here's some pics, if anyone needs more pics of the arthritus and inside let me know, got them too. Here's the outside. He used a cadava to go from one end to the other. Nice screw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/ltvmax/100_0604.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/ltvmax/100_0603.jpg

Looks like you're healing well but.........

Why did you go w/ a cadaver graft? I'm guessing you didn't do much reading here beforehand. You may heal more quickly but it will never be as strong as the other options available to you.

You should be propping your leg up, just not under the knee. Prop it under the heal so that the leg is straight as possible.

Find a GREAT PT and do what they say. That is the true key to your recovery at this point.

FYI - once your meniscus is gone, it's gone. There isn't a replacement, yet. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Im 3 weeks and 2 days post my ACL reconstruction surgery and im doing pretty good!!! They used patella tendon secured with screws! They also had to trim out 60% of my maniscus becasause it was messed up pretty bad :ride:!!! I already had 3 PT's last one was on Wednesday, i can already bend my knee 135 degrees :thumbsup: and walk fine!! Still got 5 days to be with the brace! I ditched the crutches in about 3 days after surgery and never used them again!

BTW there is a maniscus transplant surgery! Where they take dead guys maniscus and put it in ur knee :applause:

Thats what they were prepared to do with the dead guy miniscus, but since I had to much bone going through, it would of just tore it up.

I had much of my meniscus removed during my ACL recon last November. He wasnt sure how I would react to it. I feel pretty good when I ride but I like to run and I cant make it more than a mile without alot of pain. I may have to look into meniscus replacement this winter.

If your medial mensicus is removed you have a shot, it your lateral meniscus is removed your knee rapidly goes into the Crapper.

Forturnately, is is rarely necessary to remove the medial meniscus in an ACL related situation, and many lateral meniscal tears, even the unrepairable ones, can be left alone.

It is a decison process made by the surgeon, and all too many of them are still cutting out too many.

The cadaver mensical replacement works OK, but nowhere as good as the factory one.

The Doc told me the bone would eat up the new miniscus, is there a way to shave the bone and give me a factory one. Should I just count my blessings I can't run. Not much for running or jumping anymore, more like trail riding and water sports stuff.

Meniscal allografts are pretty sucessful. You need a doc who is facile with these things.

I just bought a stationary bike for knee rehab, is that a good idea, what type of excercises should I be doing, should I be patiant or get right to it?

One hour per day, everyday. Increase the resistance so you reach the appropriate target heart rate for your age. If you keep it up, theknee will take care of itself.

I would hope that the osteoarticular allograft and the meniscal allograft (transplant) would be done at the same time.

If they tell you that it can't be, choose someone else.

I'm healing great, but my knee pops alittle when straightening out, is that normal, other than that walking fine.

I am almost 3 months out of ACL reconstruction and healing pretty good. My knee also pops when fully straightened and I start to bend it. I was also wondering if this was normal.

How you doing, I'm only about two weeks and feeling good other than the popping? Already rode the street bike, hehe.

Had the cadaver acl put in on aug. 8th. I'm walking and ridiing my street bike like it never happened. No pain and feels great. Wife asks me to wait before I put the dirt bike on the trail. so I'll give it to winter, lol. Cool it down alittle here in florida. The stationary bike has done wonders, thanks for the advise doc. Well gotta go, time for a street ride.