Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Changes Year-by-Year?

I've been trying find info on what has been changed on the DR650 over the years to better narrow down what year(s) to shop for. It appears there was a major change in 1996. Have there been any significant changes aside from colors/graphics since then?

Note that I did find this link when googling for info:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml

Since the 96 remake, the Dr has remained nearly the same. 98 and early 99 models used a solid idler gear that can cause huge problems, commonly requiring a new engine as the cost of rebuild is too great. Also, earlier models have a base gasket that can leak eventually and will have to be replaced, I am not sure of the years for that, but my 2000 has the problem gasket I think, but has yet to cause issues (only 8000 kms on the bike). Other than that I think it is just colours. Anyone know the year when they started to use the new base gasket with the "tab"?

I believe the base gasket was changed to metal sometime in 2003. My 2004 has the metal gasket.

Wayne

There have been no changes aside from fixing the base gasket issue and starter clutch issue as oer previous posts above. Paint job/graphics and seat colour changes are the only differences, and these change annually. It's a very robust design. If I was buying a used one, I'd either go for a '96-97 or a 2004 or newer model to avoid the above mentioned mechanical/part issues. If you are getting a K4, make sure it has the metal base gasket, it's easily distinguished from a fibre one, and has a couple of metal tabs protruding from it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I miss my DRZ400S, but figure a 650 dual-sport is closer to what I need (more street/adventure, less single-track/off-road). So the shopping for a deal on a lightly used bike starts. Found a '96 with low miles for under $2K, but a friend of a friend has first shot at it. If he passes, I may jump on it.