Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 for Enduros!

I am setting my 2006 crf450r up for enduro. I have had the forks done and i am pretty happy with them, for now, but i am unsure what to do with the shock. It´s not fun doing it all over again if i screwing it up so i rather do it “right” the first time.

I have decided to use the stock springs as they are pretty good for my weight (95kg).

What i like to hear is your opinion on what i should do whit it (shims, valves and stuff).

How does the X shock compare with the R shock? Can i use the X shock valves and stuff...so many questions, so many ways to go... :thumbsup:

I really like your opinion and what u have done to get it all good!

Oh, and i do all the work by myself.

Oh 2. It would be very interesting to see how the forks looks like when i comes back from, for ex. Race tech. What changes that have been done and so on...

Cheese!

/Thyruz

Someone have to know something about revalving/shimsing?

It is easy to dissemble the forks/shock and shim stacks but it is hard to know what to do with the shims. Remove, add, put a break shim in or not. I really like to get it as good as possible at firs attempt.

Please help.

/Thyruz

It´s not fun doing it all over again if i screwing it up so i rather do it “right” the first time.

/Thyruz

If you don't enjoy working on suspension pay an expert to do it for you. Don't expect it all for nothing. You will not get it right the first time. An expert will get it close.

You obviously don´t get the point!

I want it to be as close as possible at first attempt with help from people that have done their suspension before.

/Thyruz

Well if you answer all these questions, and some one is out there who fits your profile exactly and happens to read your thread and feels like posting you might just be lucky to only have to do it once yourself. Looks to me like your just after a free ride without having to do any work yourself. Sorry but thats how it reads to me.

Weight? Height? Riding style? Ability? Trail type? Do you want more bottoming control or small bump compliance?

All these questions can and should be expanded on to provide as much information as possible. For instance terrain should be expanded into hardpack? Intermediate? Sand? Rocks? Roots? Mud?

You have not given any information to indicate what you are looking for? Thats why it reads like your just lazy and want a free ride. Sorry if thats not the case but thats how it reads.

Some people here are prepared to do the work themselves and others make suggestions to lead them in the right direction. Like I said, if you don't enjoy working on suspension, your better off to pay someone who does and enjoy your time riding instead.

If you want to know what a fork looks like after someone has paid good money for a good job, pay up yourself and be happy, or take it back to be redone. Seems pretty simple to me really.

Good luck.

Well if you answer all these questions, and some one is out there who fits your profile exactly and happens to read your thread and feels like posting you might just be lucky to only have to do it once yourself. Looks to me like your just after a free ride without having to do any work yourself. Sorry but thats how it reads to me.

Weight? Height? Riding style? Ability? Trail type? Do you want more bottoming control or small bump compliance?

All these questions can and should be expanded on to provide as much information as possible. For instance terrain should be expanded into hardpack? Intermediate? Sand? Rocks? Roots? Mud?

You have not given any information to indicate what you are looking for? Thats why it reads like your just lazy and want a free ride. Sorry if thats not the case but thats how it reads.

Some people here are prepared to do the work themselves and others make suggestions to lead them in the right direction. Like I said, if you don't enjoy working on suspension, your better off to pay someone who does and enjoy your time riding instead.

If you want to know what a fork looks like after someone has paid good money for a good job, pay up yourself and be happy, or take it back to be redone. Seems pretty simple to me really.

Good luck.

Jeez...what an *******!

You beat me too it! :ride::applause::thumbsup:

I've been is your shoes. It's hard to get people, even non-pro's to share there specs.

I'd suggest smaller clamp shims, along with removing some of the large low-speed shims to get started. You could also try removing every other HS shim.

I gave up and paid WER to do it. They came real close, I think I can make it perfect now with one more fine tuning effort.

BigIvyI: You know what, i have removed some (4) of the LS Stack and it is not even half bad :ride:

I will now follow your suggestion with the clamp shims and remov some HS shims and see whats happens. (I think it´ll bee good or at least better)

This was exactly what i was looking for, suggestions and startpointers!

Thank you verry much BigIvyI! :applause:

As for the fork i have just removed 2 Comp shims from both stacks in the fork

(top and midvalve) and added 300cc of W2,5 oil and it works pretty good.

If i can get away with just two tries on the suspension and get it right ill be verry happy!!

Again, Thank you BigIvyI!

/Thyruz :thumbsup:

Ive been working on my 03' CRF450 for a while now and have revalved it 5 times. The first four times I left the mid valve in place removing one of the 20's allowing a little more float. The last stack I used is as follows:

LS:

(2) .15x30

(2) .10x30

.10x21

HS:

.10x30

.10x28

.10x26

.10x24

.1.10x21

.10x19

.10x16

This was the last valving I used with the mid in place. It was fare, better than stock, but gave me to much feedback especially for enduro's and harescrambles.

I had a check valve conversion kit sitting on the work bench that I ordered several months ago. I didnt put it in because so many people said that removing the mid valve was butchering a fork so I let it sit. After Riding a new KTM 400EXC last week who's suspension was unbelivable for the woods, I decided to revalve and check plate the mid to try and come close to the KTM stuff. Here's what i cam up with.

Mid: Check plated

LS:

(4) .15x30

(2) .10x30

.10x21

HS:

(4) .1x30

.1x28

.1x26

.1x24

.1x21

.1x19

.1x17

I must say, for me this valving was heaven compared to the previouse tries, very very plush, tracked right through rain ruts, roots, off camber, I had a blast tonight, to bad it got dark!! Jumps (not very big) were not bottoming, I love my bike now. Give it a try. For all those who say dont check plate the mid, I dont think that applies to the Enduro and tight hare scramble guys.

I bought the check plate kit from Race Tech for $20 bucks and used the stock piston and valving. Now time to work the shock over to match.

By the way, thanks for the help Big Ivy, sc spode, DaveJ, you guys were great and very helpful.

Big Ivy, have you taken the forks apart after the WER revalve. Curious if they did anything engenious or just refined what we have been doing. Have you reversed engineered it. Curious what your stacks look like after the revalve.

I have now tried some of the BigIvyI tips and it getting better and better. :ride:

mallardchaser: That looks great! I an taking notes and will try some of your settings as i proceed with the work! It is soooooo appreciated what u are doing, sharing your experiences! :thumbsup: I will share my experiences when i am done with the suspension what i have done and so on!

/Thyruz

I plan on taking the WER suspension apart sometime and dilligently writing down there specs. Right now I'm kind of burned out on busting down suspension, so probably I'll wait till I need an oil change or fork seal.

You know, check plate conversions have allot to do with how much float you allow. As long as the float is not excessive, you can get decent bottoming resistance and simplify tuning. I understand that using a proper mid-valve is better, but the check method should be able to work pretty well.

I aggree that including the mid-valve into the valving equation should be able to make the fork better than just the base valve, if you know what your doing, but I got tired of tearing into the fork. Like the little Honda kids say, "I just wana ride!"

I am pretty satisfied with my suspension at the moment. Thanks to BigIvyI and mallardchaser. I hug you in appreciation :applause:

At first i thought that i might could get away with open and modifie the suspension 2 or maby 3 times. I am 2 over par right now so a little more work than i hoped for. No problem though, it´s all good right now so it was worth the work.

I have tried mallardchasers (similar) set up and some other things but i ended up with a pretty easy modification that i like, for now.

Actually i was out riding yesterday with a buddy of mine that is really fast! top 20 in sweden (yeah, that´s fast!) Him and me on the trail:

Hey, i am struggling, what have you had for dinner!

Me: Hehe, fast food of course! No, but i have done my suspension you know.

Him: Man you have done a good job then, is that something you can do on my bike too?

Me: Are you serious? You are just boosting my confidence because i am going too slow and u feel sorry for me?

Him: I'm telling you, you are going fast and i am on top of my strength here!

Those words maked my confidence really boost! He´s in better shape than me and i don´t have the stamina to go that fast as long as he can, but i am more motivated to do some running and bicycling to make it better.

This is my set up:

Forks.

Changed spring in one fork leg from .46 to .42

removed 3 of the big shims of the cartridge comp stack (top) and 2 of the HS comp stack (mid valve).

Added 300cc of W2.5 oil (Golden spectro).

Shock.

Removed 4 of the biggest Ls comp stack.

Thats it!

I don´t have more time for you now, i´m on my way out running!

:thumbsup:

/Thyruz :ride:

Actually i was out riding yesterday with a buddy of mine that is really fast! top 20 in sweden (yeah, that´s fast!)

Who was that buddy ? :applause:

Sounds great that you found a setting you are happy with ! :thumbsup:

i'm slowly getting there myself ,just tried my revalved fork yesterday :applause:

(Yamaha yz250 -06)

Where are you located in sweden ? (me = Skara ,Götene MK :ride: )

/JeRRy