just bought a wr250

last weekend. its an 06. the reason i picked this bike is for the green sticker. now im looking into taking off the xtras. how much weight savings is there by removing the starter,batt, kickstand, ect.

why did you get the wr then>?[/QUOte]

go back and read my orig post again ?

o'wait your not from CA. in Ca we have a colored sticker program. green sticker bikes can be ridden all year round. a red sticker bike can only be ridden certain months of the year. something like Oct 1 thru April 30th. so a brand new yz is a red sticker bike and wr is green. thats why i bought a wr, so i can ride all year round with out getting in trouble and fined

last weekend. its an 06. the reason i picked this bike is for the green sticker. now im looking into taking off the xtras. how much weight savings is there by removing the starter,batt, kickstand, ect.

You might save 10-20 lbs, depending on what you're removing. Since you got a "Green Sticker" bike, I'm assuming you want to ride on public land in California. Why do you want to remove this stuff? Those "extras" make it a much better trail bike. If you need (want) more power, just bolt a race pipe with a quiet muffler on the bike and you are good to go!

You might save 10-20 lbs, depending on what you're removing. Since you got a "Green Sticker" bike, I'm assuming you want to ride on public land in California. Why do you want to remove this stuff? Those "extras" make it a much better trail bike. If you need (want) more power, just bolt a race pipe with a quiet muffler on the bike and you are good to go!

i dont want any of that stuff, but i might get use to it. i just think the lighter the better. maybe i'll ride it around for a while with everything. then remove all the xtras and see if i can feel a difference.

Did a weight loss program on my '05 WR and dropped about 10 lbs. No sticker issues where I live - I just like to tinker. The big weight savers are battery and headlight/front plate. I left starter motor (tough to remove and weight is carried low) and also left all other electronics as they weigh nada. I can convert back to e-start in 5 minutes. Put an Acerbis YZF number plate on instead of headlight - just needed to zip-tie a few items in place. Left the overflow jug as I still ride it in tight woods on hot summer days and that's worthwhile protection. I did remove kickstand, but I might put it back on for convenience - it is very well-engineered aluminum and weighs amazingly little.

Now here's a few other items beyond just dry weight. IMHO, the stock WR is way too top heavy. Thus, I took some tips from the YZF crowd and lowered the radiators 1" via homemade brackets (simple). I also slipped the forks 5mm higher in the clamps. Finally, I acquired a stock YZF exhaust (cheap) which is 50% lighter and adds major power (in addition to all free mods) - afraid this could be an issue where you ride, so you might have to go aftermarket route. I have a YZF stock exhaust cam (also cheap) ready to be installed next time I check valves.

End result is a lighter bike with a lower center of gravity and much improved power and handling. I love my "WZ".

Ultimate solution move from hippy california to some other state that is not similar to nazi germany. Just don't move to washington we have bagged our limit of californians. But in reality we are adoptin all of your emision laws for road vehicles so I assume dirt is next. damn hippies. ?

Check the www.thumperfaq.com they have a page showing how much weight you can take off. Surprising to me how little you save (I think the headlight only drops about 1 pound as I recall). They don't ist the weight of the battery/starter which I think is the biggest area for weight changes, but the e-start is also SOOOOO nice on the trails if you stall out on a hill etc. that I don't know if I could ride without it now that I'm used to having it....

i have an 03 wr 250 and i havnt had any problems with it being too heavy. if you want more power just get a good aftermartket ipe, cut the gray wire, and cut out the air box, and get a yzf throttle stop. this will give you tons more power

Ultimate solution move from hippy california to some other state that is not similar to nazi germany. Just don't move to washington we have bagged our limit of californians. But in reality we are adoptin all of your emision laws for road vehicles so I assume dirt is next. damn hippies. ?

i'm live in nor cal. your right there is a lote of tree huggers up here but not all. that is why im a member of the blue ribbon coillition. there trying to stop the "green peace" people from shutting down the forests and tracks.