Sign in to follow this  

BD tail light repair (with pics)

The other night I started my bike to go home from work and my Baja Designs tail light wasn't working, AGAIN . I had brake light and 2 license plate lights but no tail light. This is not good at 11:30 at night and 10 miles of highway ahead of me. I made it home :ride:

I got to looking at it and decided that I needed to take apart the housing for the 2nd time. The first time I used a exacto knife and some precise prying to get it apart. The first time I had a resistor break off from the board. I took it apart and re soldered the resistor on.

This time it came apart a little easier but not simple. I had glued it together quite well.

100_0263.jpg

This time I found a diode broken off and laying in the bottom of the housing. Soldered that back on but I still only had 2 plate lights. I discovered I had a cracked solder joint on the resistor and a loose connection on the red wire. I repaired those and everything was good. :thumbsup:

Well, I needed to glue the resistors and diodes on the board because I think that the yosh pipe is just tearing this light up.100_0267.jpg

I used gorilla glue and a que tip. This glue expands and foams as it dries but it is strong.

Now to glue the housing back together. I stuck the front and the back together and used the original screws to hold them. I glued the seams with fletch tite. Its glue I use for arrow building.100_0268.jpg

I hope that now this POS is bullet proof. I wish BD had encased the back side of the board in epoxy to hold the components on the board. The way it is just gets busted up by vibrations and getting the housing apart is a real PITA.

ignore the dates on the pics. I had it set wrong.

Good idea! I'll be installing the same light on my DRZs and will open it up first and stabilize the board with silicone.

On second thought, after looking more closely at the pics, I'll try drilling two small holes a third of the way in from both sides and fill it with silicone. That way I won't damage the electronics or the "seal". :thumbsup:

Would the silcone be a bad idea.... sorry for the noob ? im just not up on the lingo of computer boards

silicone would work and I like the idea of drilling the holes. I would not attempt to take a good working one apart. You are running the risk of breaking the housing. Mine came apart real hard.