Sign in to follow this  

Too much Labour $$?

I brought in my crank cases from my 2003 KX250 to have the seals replaced. I called to check on it and ofcourse it hadn't been looked at over a week later. Anyway, the guy tells me 3 hours labour. I think about it after and can't believe it. I took everything off the motor.... all they have to do is seperate the cases, rpelace the seals and Yamahabond it back together. I can't see that taking anymore than an hour. I've done my RZ crank assy's before so I sorta know what I'm on about.

Anyone think 3 hours is a bitch much??

We have a guy near here that does what you want for like fifty bucks. So I would agree that three hours of labors at 70 bucks an hour is excessive. My mechanic has taken my crank to the guy mentioned several times in the past. I was told that the two guys hung out and talked for arounf 45 minutes as the guy was replacing the seals and bearings then balancing the crank. I think you have several options to get a cheaper price. Contact some of the smaller shops in your area. Or contact some machine shops for the crank. Although they may not do it themselves, they will usually know someone in town that will. Third, you could go to a local race and talk to the A dna B riders. Get in touch with their mechanic for the job. In order to keep costs down for the rider, they usually use a private mechaniz instead of going to the dealer for major service work. Third option would be to find someone online to send it to. You should be able to easily find someone in your state that does this stuff.