Sign in to follow this  

FSW aftermarket hot start?

does anyone out there have the four stroke works aftermarket hot start kit? can i put it on my KLX? any recommendations on an easier start if not?(besides the pricey electric start) i need help... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have one and it works great on my KLX. I should add that I have a 33mm Mikuni pumper carb.

I have yet to have a time when I considered my klx hard to start. Can someone explan in detail what the exact purpose of this "hot start".

I have yet to have a time when I considered my klx hard to start. Can someone explan in detail what the exact purpose of this "hot start".

You only really need it with a pumper carb.

If you stall or otherwise "kill" your engine and you have a pumper carb, chances are good that you will be flooded. Unlike stock CV carb, you cant just hold the throttle open and kick it when it's flooded. That just pumps more gas in and makes the flooding worse. What a hot start does is it lets air in to lean things out.

Swind - that cause you have a newer KLX.

Toni - yes as stated above you can fit the FSW hotstart to your klx. Even without a pumper I used to use it all the time. With a pumper it's mandatory.

If you do not know that your bike has had the ACR mod done, I would do a search right here and have it done. Then put on the hot start and starting will become much easier. BTW, you will have to drill either your carb or manifold to install it.

Having donned my flame suit I will ask this. You have dumped your pumper equipped bike and it is now flooded. Why not hold it open? True you will get another squirt of fuel but it is already flooded. After that the slide is open so the pilot circuit is bypassed and the air velocity is too low to effectively draw fuel through the main. Seems to me you would get more air that way than through one of those weenie little hot start valves. Back in the days of carburetted automobiles you floored the throttle on a flooded engine. And yes, they had "pumpers".

klxd

Take the flame suit off. You are correct. It is actually the CV carb that is a problem when flooded because when you turn the throttle, only the butterfly moves, NOT the slide, so you will get a richer mixture from the pilot circuit.

Ride on

Brewster

So are you saying the hot start may not really be necessary with a pumper?

I have a 33 to install and was going to wait on the hot start to see if I needed it. It makes sense to me that that it is not needed but then why do the newer carbs have them built in?

I was thinking of mentioning that about the CVK but I figured one contrary statement per post was enough.

I don't know the physics involved but I have tried holding my 33mm pumper open in lieu of the hot start and it's never worked for me. Open the hot start and in 2 or 3 kicks I'm down the trail.

Well guys, you all have helped me a bunch. At least now I have an idea of what needs to be done to my big green bike. I have done some searching and thanks to planet klx and our buddy brewster, maybe I won't be left behind kicking my green monster.

P.S., Brewster maybe you can lend a helping hand with this acr mod that needs to be done...I practically live next door to ya!

Thanks again to everyone for the help!!!

I love this place!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't know the chemistry of it but I have use the heck out of my hot start. When the bike's nice and warm/hot and I kill it under load it is just about maddening (sp?) trying to start it without the h/s. Open it up and it's ripping in 2 easy kicks. When you're stuck on a steep climb or in a ravine you just don't want to be kicking that beast any more than you've got to. I think mine is the Terry branded one and I drilled a hole into the manifold for it. Pretty easy, they supply the correct drill bit and a tap for the brass nipple and plenty of transparent blue tubing to mount it on the handle bar. Here are some pics of mine. HTH hot start install

P.S., Brewster maybe you can lend a helping hand with this acr mod that needs to be done...I practically live next door to ya!

Thanks again to everyone for the help!!!

I love this place!! :thumbsup:

I'm always willing to help out with the bikes. In fact, I'd rather teach someone how to do their own work on the bikes. Let me know when you want to wrench on it.

I just looked up and down my street and didn't see another KLX.....where abouts do you live?

Ride on

Brewster