Sign in to follow this  

front tire on rear???

In my hastyness to get a new street friendly tire, I put a front 18 inch tire on my back rim. Will there be any ill effects if I ride it. I really don't want to take this tire off, I went to the hospital to get 9 stitches last night from hitting the sprocket with my finger.

Most people try to do tire changes working on the other side of the rim,,,you know the one with the nice smooth brake disc :thumbsup:

Couldn't resist.....anyway, how did you manage to find a front tire wide enough to fit properly on the rim? I personally don't think it would be a good idea and I doubt any tire makers would condone it let alone recommend it.

Most people try to do tire changes working on the other side of the rim,,,you know the one with the nice smooth brake disc :ride:

Yes but sprockets produce more interesting scars :applause:

Hope it heals up OK, and that you don't make it any worse removing that tyre.

Neil. :thumbsup::applause::applause:

well if you look at the profile pic on my myspace you can see my finger.http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user&Mytoken=14AD4606-B0EB-5AF6-CCA3BE1311A454414234551

I just know the shop told me it was a front. How do you tell? It was a 18 110/90 and was a pain to get on. I already swapped back the old nobby and I did hurt myself a little more, I'm a cluts. :thumbsup:

Link not working, need to log on.

If you look on the side wall of the tyre there will have a direction arrow, it will also state if this is for front or rear wheel.

There are a few (very few) tyres that are universal, front or rear.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Yes, some tires are universal. Mostly older designs. In some special cases it is acceptable to run a front on the rear (you reverse it so the direction arrow (if there is one) is backwards. I don't think this information applies in this case and I would recommend you only run a rear tire on the rear. Glad to hear you have it corrected and with practice you will get better at tire changes. I can usually do it now without blood loss.

I can usually do it now without blood loss.

So can I, £10.00 ride in ride out, and I keep my hands clean :applause:

Actually I don't mind changing tyres, but it would be rude not to take advantage of such a cheap deal.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause: